Help for an un-tethered spot

mamakc

The set-up I've had for months is not going to work out anymore. My vehicle is set up like this:

3rd row has two seats, passenger side has LATCH, driver side does not (no tether either)

2nd row has 40/60 split, two sets of LATCH, tether for center seat.

I have the Frontier installed in the passenger side 3rd row seat. The Complete Air is RF in the second row passenger seat (the 40 side). I had a booster sitting in the other 3rd row seat in case someone needs to get bumped. I watch two different kids throughout the week, and a couple times a week my kids get 'bumped' out of their usual seat. When I watch my 1yo niece, she goes in the CA, DS goes into the Frontier, DD goes in the booster. When I watch my friend's 3yo, she goes in the Frontier and DD goes in the booster.

Up until now, that has been working fine. But DD has officially lost her booster until further notice. She's been amazing in the booster, but here lately the novelty has worn off and she's messing around, so it's gone. But now I need a new plan! I need to keep the second row 60 side clear, for various reasons, so I need a seat to put in the untethered spot.

The obvious answer would be my radian, except that spot has rigid, forward of the bight buckles and I've never gotten a comfortable install there. I worry most about head excursion because my vehicle manual says that if someone is riding in the 3rd row, the second row seats can not be folded.

All my current seats are in my siggy. Ideas? :confused:

ADS

mamakc

The rear facing seat has to go in the second row. The only rear facing seats I have are the radian and the CA. The radian over-reclines (so may be a possibility after the angle adjuster is available) in my car, the CA is too wide for either seat on the 60 side to fit anything next to it and too tall to fit behind the driver.

Plus the CA is excellent for adjusting in 5 seconds between my tiny 15mo niece and giant almost-3yo.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
But you didn't answer the question! :p

So the CA and a FFing Radian won't fit on the 60?

THen put the RFing CA in the back, and put a tethered seat on the 40.

mamakc

The CA doesn't fit RF in the back! I know, my vehicle is a PITA for car seat placement, but I love it, nonetheless.

I thought of something, though, while I was pondering wishing the radian had an approved LBP. How does the frontier do, untethered? I bet it would install perfectly with the LBP, and wouldn't the placement of the shoulder belt act almost like a tether would?

monstah

I feel like I am always replying to your car seat placement threads because we are often in the same boat err... car. :p

So you need 4 harnessed seats in permanantly? 1 RF and 3 FF? No wait... it's late and I'm confused. :eek:

The Frontier installs beautifully LBP in the 3rd row passenger side. I would assume the same for drivers side.

And FTR, my siggy pic is far from true to life. I was messing around it's the only pic I have with all three in the car together.

monstah

Would this work? Keep a Maestro or CA in the cargo area and install it behind the driver when needed?

My DS sits passenger side third row. I keep the other 3rd row seat folded down so he gets in through the back or climbs over the 2nd row center. Depending on his mood, LOL.

Last edited:

mamakc

I feel like I am always replying to your car seat placement threads because we are often in the same boat err... car. :p

So you need 4 harnessed seats in permanantly? 1 RF and 3 FF? No wait... it's late and I'm confused. :eek:

The Frontier installs beautifully LBP in the 3rd row passenger side. I would assume the same for drivers side.

And FTR, my siggy pic is far from true to life. I was messing around it's the only pic I have with all three in the car together.

I need 2 FF and 1 RF in permanently. 2 FF in the 3rd row, 1 RF in the 2nd. I need room for adults in the back, too, and still have easy access to the kids in the 3rd row, which is why I want the 60 side left carseat free. Just need help figuring out which seat should go untethered, when I have to bump DD out of her usual seat.

You must have the 50/50 split 3rd row. Mine doesn't do that, it's all one piece.

Should I invest in an RSTV? Maybe that would solve my issues. lol

monstah

mamakc said:
I need 2 FF and 1 RF in permanently. 2 FF in the 3rd row, 1 RF in the 2nd. I need room for adults in the back, too, and still have easy access to the kids in the 3rd row, which is why I want the 60 side left carseat free. Just need help figuring out which seat should go untethered, when I have to bump DD out of her usual seat.

You must have the 50/50 split 3rd row. Mine doesn't do that, it's all one piece.

Should I invest in an RSTV? Maybe that would solve my issues. lol

Nope, I have the 60/40 too. It's horrible. (ETA: Your 3rd row is a bench? I didn't even know they made them like that. Oy!)

I would totally suggest a RSTV. Especially because you can also use it 2nd row center and have 2 kids on the 60 with a car seat / 3 across when necessary.

What about my suggestion of leaving a CA in the cargo area for times someone gets bumped?

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC