school me - britax 70 seats

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
I have watched the video many times. I had a seat come through our check today. We used seatbelt because we didn't want to worry about the total weight (kid+seat). I couldn't get those lock offs to clip. Another tech was there with me and neither could she. What is the trick.

Another tech and I are going to go play with one soon. But need some tips. I just can't make them work.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It was in a Subaru?

You do the Britax Shuffle. You buckle, tighten, and then loosen it a bit to get slack enough to shuffle the lockoff closed. Slide your hand, with your palm, along the length of the lockoff.

Wendy

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
Yes, a subaru. I was just walking by and didn't like how the dh seat looked, so I went to talk to mom, dad and tech. Dad and I reinstalled his without the seat reclined. I had known his vans weight limit. So I explained to him. I checked hers and told mom and tech that it was 60 for kid/seat. We switched to seatbelt. We ended up locking the seatbelt because I couldn't get the lockoffs too work right. This is only the 2x britax 70 I have worked with.

lourdes

I have the same problem and posted it in the installation forum, Wendy, can you explain better the britax shuffle? I understand English but I didn't understand your explanation

momtoo3

My MA70 only requires one lock off. It says to use the one closest to the buckle. Before reading that and trying it I was cussing at the lock offs trying to install it in my van. Not sure if you were trying both lock offs or just one.

Pixels

My MA70 only requires one lock off. It says to use the one closest to the buckle. Before reading that and trying it I was cussing at the lock offs trying to install it in my van. Not sure if you were trying both lock offs or just one.

Only on most of the seats. Some of the early ones require both lockoffs. They made a change to the seats to allow for only one lockoff.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
First, make sure you're opening both sections of the lockoff. I know that may sound like a given but I know of cases where the tech missed the fact that there's 2 separate plastic arms on the lockoff that both need to be opened otherwise it isn't going to work.

Now, in some vehicles, like my '05 Ford Freestar, it's impossible to close the lockoff over both portions of the seatbelt (lap & shoulder belt). I discussed the situation with Britax at ABC and came to the realization that some seatbelt webbing is thicker than others. I never really thought about it until now but it's true. My seatbelts in this vehicle are thicker than most others. It's possible that the seatbelt webbing in the Subaru was thicker than average too. Luckily, you have the option of skipping the lockoff if they're really giving you a hard time *provided there's some other way to lock the seatbelt*. I discussed this recently in my RA55 review on the blog.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
We ended up locking the seatbelt. Angela from here and I are going to go play with one this week. I had both things openned. I couldn't find anywhere in the manual where it said 1 or both lock offs were needed.

momtoo3

On the seat back of the seat pad that sits on the childs lower back (I hope thats clear) is a little pocket that holds a card that has a yellow tab sticking out with lock off instructions telling you to use the lock off closest to the buckle. Mine has a munufacture date of 7-11 and is a replacement for a defective on that was 3-11. Both had it but I don't know about the older ones. Also page 34 of my manual talked about the lock off closest to the buckle. Here are some pics.
Hidden seat pad pocket/pouch:
001-4.jpg

Pic of the card:
002-4.jpg

Pg 34 of the manual:
003-5.jpg

If it is a newer seat, I hope this helps!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC