FYI about True Fit

babygund

Don't know if this could happen when RF (my DS is 38lbs so now FF:() but twice now when driving he tells me he is undoing his seat. When I look he has his hands through the slits for the RF belt path and has the lock offs undone! Like I said I would have to try and see if he could do it if the seat was RF but a warning if it is possible:eek: I know we aren't supposed to lock the belts with the lock offs but that would be all that would be holding the seat in...

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The True Fit does allow locking the belt gently once the lockoffs are closed, according to the company.

That said, the lockoffs are, in my experiene, much harder both to close and to open when there's a belt through them! I doubt it would be that easy if it was buckled in with them.

Lenae

The RF lockoffs were next to impossible to do/undo with seatbelt for me. But significantly easier with LATCH. Something for people to watch out for, I guess.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Unless the manufacturer specifically disallows it (I can't think of one that does...) there's no reason you can't lock the seat belt and use the lockoff if you wish. If the vehicle has locking latchplates, you wouldn't have a choice.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
There is another member, her son was doing it when rear facing.

I hope that this was reported to the company, so they can take steps to rectify it if it is a widespread problem. (Of course, it's mainly a discipline issue.)

Do you know if that was with LATCH or belt, out of curiosity?

jess71903

Ambassador
With the seat belt, the lock-offs are hard to open and close. It's easier with the LATCH belt, but then they aren't doing anything to restrain the seat. The adjuster on the LATCH strap will still be locked. I'm not saying that there's no way it could be a problem, but probably not as likely as it would seem with a FF child messing with them.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
With the seat belt, the lock-offs are hard to open and close. It's easier with the LATCH belt, but then they aren't doing anything to restrain the seat. The adjuster on the LATCH strap will still be locked. I'm not saying that there's no way it could be a problem, but probably not as likely as it would seem with a FF child messing with them.

My thoughts exactly, but you said it better. :)

NannyMom

I hope that this was reported to the company, so they can take steps to rectify it if it is a widespread problem. (Of course, it's mainly a discipline issue.)

Do you know if that was with LATCH or belt, out of curiosity?

It was reported. It was installed with LATCH, which must have been why he could undo it.

macmomma

My son used to do that- emailed the company and they said that it is fine... gonna see if I can find the email they had send me about it.

macmomma

Found it:) I had also asked about the straps so I could remove and wash the seat better

Dear Tina,

Thank you for your email. The lower anchors which is part of LATCH will still be safe if installed correctly if your son unlocks the lock offs. There is no safety significance if the lock offs are unlocked as the lower anchor system is factory installed and attached to the car seat. One thing the engineers have recommended for cleaning the straps is to take the pad set off and turn the seat upside down by your sink and hand wash them that way. Alternatively you could unhook the straps from the back of the seat and pull them through the front and push all the buckles toward the bottom of the seat and wash them that way. If you have further questions or would like us to explain better please call our consumer toll free number 1-888-899-2229 at your convenience. We are available Monday - Thursday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Central/Standard time and Friday 8:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Central/Standard time.

Regards,
Emma, Consumer Services

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC