2yr old unbuckling seat

ProudMommysince09

My 2 1/2 year old demonstrated her new skill to me tonight. I was at the Red Box and parked at the curb with her door open so I could see her, she unbuckled her Multi Tech :eek:
I immediately saw it and fixed it and told her that it's not safe, she did it again, we left. We weren't even out of the parking lot when I saw her lean forward way too much, sure enough she was unbuckled again and trying to buckle herself.
Buckled her and reminded her that it's a big No No to do to this. Drove the 2 min. drive home, by the time I gathered phone and wallet and made it to her door she greeted me once again unbuckled! :(
Now I really don't know what to do if this keeps going, for the MT all it takes is one click and both straps are undone.
(We can't keep a mirror in the car because the last one got kicked until it made it off the headrest and then she kicked it some more until it broke..)
Suggestions anyone??

ADS

bnsnyde

Today my almost 4-year-old unbuckled her RF Radian by pushing the seatbelt button. It came undone and she tried to re-do it by putting it over the seat. This all happened while driving. I was SHOCKED to get home and see the belt buckled over the seat, totally out of the belt path. I think I stared at it for some time. Did physics betray me? There was no way this could happen, I thought. And by itself, no.
(Later it all came out about how she did this).

I have since turned the buckle so there is no easy access. The problem is that it's going to be very hard for an adult to ever get this seat out, now. It's hard to explain but the way it is situated against the seat is going to cause serious 'ouch' on my fingers. At least the seat is not going anywhere.

ProudMommysince09

Oh my, well I hope your 'fix' works for you! She's luckily never tried to unbuckle the seatbelt, but she tried to play with the lock off's before..

tjham

Try the old "going for ice cream" trick (or playground or whatever she loves) and when she unbuckles, pull over and say "oops, now we can't go for ice cream because you unbuckled."

People have suggested prickly velcro on the buttons.

Good Luck!

abckidsmom

Can you uninstall the crotch strap and then put it back, backwards? I did this with a graco seat (can't remember which one, specifically) when I had a pesky toddler doing the same thing.

I'm not familiar with the MT, so forgive me if this is not possible.

aetj81

The ice cream trick sounds good, but if she stays buckled after.youve told her that on the next.trip, ya gotta make sure you reinforce that good behavior, or the unacceptable behavior (unbuckling) will.come.right back.

My 3 yo unbuckled....once ;) i wont say what this mama did :)

Sent from my LS670 using Car-Seat.Org

ProudMommysince09

Can you uninstall the crotch strap and then put it back, backwards? I did this with a graco seat (can't remember which one, specifically) when I had a pesky toddler doing the same thing.

I'm not familiar with the MT, so forgive me if this is not possible.

Good idea, but it doesn't work with the MT.. Let me look through Photobucket, there is still a buckle picture somewhere :p

_MG_3842.jpg

In order to buckle you have to put both straps together and buckle that as a whole, does that make sense? lol

ProudMommysince09

I will try the ice cream or 'treat' idea, she will hopefully go for that if not, well more drastic measure are needed then I guess.
The only other RF seat I have has a 40lbs. max, she's been 40lbs. for the past few months..

abckidsmom

Good idea, but it doesn't work with the MT.. Let me look through Photobucket, there is still a buckle picture somewhere :p

_MG_3842.jpg

In order to buckle you have to put both straps together and buckle that as a whole, does that make sense? lol

I had an AOE like that once. Can you reverse all three, then?

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I often tell parents that in this type of situation, bribery is a good thing. "If you stay in your seat the whole time, we'll (play at the park, read an extra story, play a game, you'll get 2 Skittles, I'll give you 3 M&M's). Whatever it takes, this is a life & death (potentially) situation and the child must learn to stay put. If bribes work, then so be it.

ProudMommysince09

I often tell parents that in this type of situation, bribery is a good thing. "If you stay in your seat the whole time, we'll (play at the park, read an extra story, play a game, you'll get 2 Skittles, I'll give you 3 M&M's). Whatever it takes, this is a life & death (potentially) situation and the child must learn to stay put. If bribes work, then so be it.

Good idea, we are going to the Zoo on Sunday but I haven't told DD, I can bribe her with that tomorrow too! I will probably also hand her my Ipod to keep her little fingers otherwise occupied :p

tjham

Good idea, we are going to the Zoo on Sunday but I haven't told DD, I can bribe her with that tomorrow too! I will probably also hand her my Ipod to keep her little fingers otherwise occupied :p

I would only say that if you are actually willing to give up the zoo if she unbuckles. :( You have to follow through.

May be better to offer a few candies at a time like Lori said. ;)

momtoo3

Ds3 is very money motivated :rolleyes:. We are potty training and he earns a penny evertime he goes potty and 2 when he comes home from preschool with a dry pullup. He then uses his pennies to buy little prizes from me (mini m&ms, hot wheels, happy meal toys, etc.) He loves to buy his prize at the end of the day and is finally going potty. Maybe something like that or a sticker chart that she could "cash in" would work to keep her buckled. I also think giving her your ipod is a great idea to keep her hands busy. If she gets bored with that maybe some lacing cards or something would occupy her. Ds3 has loved them since he turned 2.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I would probably talk crash physics with a teddy bear in the seat. I'd sit down and explain that if teddy is buckled in, he can't fall out! And if he unbuckles, oops, he can hurt his head, ouch! I don't know if that would help all 2 year olds but it might help some understand safe vs. not.

Then, I'd do the trip to the park and/or m&ms.

ProudMommysince09

Just a little update: When I put DD in the car yesterday she conveniently had to bring her Mickey Mouse so I did what KQ suggested and 'demonstrated' what happens when she isn't buckled.
I rather exaggerated, but it worked so far. Once that gets old we're moving on to treats.
Thanks everyone!

KaiLing

Yup, mine can do the MT buckle. He is allowed to once the door is open and I say it's ok. I freaked out at him when he did it with the car off (crying, mostly: "that SCARES mommy! I'm so scared I'm crying!"). He knows it's a big deal, and we used a mirror until I was confident he won't. He asks "can I push the button?" now, sometimes when the car is moving, and I say no, and if we're alone, he usually drops it. I have a zip up fleece that I've zipped around it the two cold days so far, and I'm looking forward to colder weather so we'll have that extra step between us and the buckle.

I'm still not entirely confident he won't do it, but I'm entirely confident I'll know immediately, because he's telling me every time and I can get my hand back to check the straps behind the seat while driving.

I was going to maybe try more and different shirts and Velcro if ot got worse but it has gotten better.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC