Booster Question

prmommy

I didn't think I'd find myself in this situation so soon, but I have and am unprepared.....

My daughter is going to carpool 1-2 days a week with a friend of ours and I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing.

She's 5yo - 39lbs and just about 40". I bought her a Clek booster (olli) mostly b/c I got it for a great price, recognized the name and figured they were good car seats but didn't do any research on it before purchasing (very unlike me).

So, do you guys think she's safe in the booster? The ride is literally half a mile through a residential neighborhood. What would be the alternative?

ADS

Baylor

If the booster fits her, She knows how to ride in it and the person buckling her in does it correctly Then it is not a bad option. Boosters are perfectly safe when used correctly and provides the right belt fit for the correctly aged/sized child.

Have you tried her in it? How does it fit and how does she ride in it?

ETA: I was thinking OOBR not Backless OLLI.. so more questions...
what does she ride in now?
I would get her a HBB for car pool if possible.

prmommy

Have you tried her in it? How does it fit and how does she ride in it?

ETA: I was thinking OOBR not Backless OLLI.. so more questions...
what does she ride in now?
I would get her a HBB for car pool if possible.

I literally got it last night so I have not had a chance to try her out in it. I honestly don't even know what kind of car she'll be riding in - it's my husbands co-worker and we're in the process of figuring out a carpool plan as a result of a last minute change in school procedures so this is happening all too fast.

She's currently in a RA XTSL/Frontier. I'm all about keeping her harnessed as long as possible (she was actually RF until about 6 mo. ago) but figured since this was a quick (literally 5 min.) that a booster would be OK.

Baylor

I would not go with a no back booster. I would get a hb booster and make sure you ride with her in it and she knows what she needs to do if you are going to booster at all.

If you are not 100% sure that she will sit correctly, I would put her in a harnessed seat in that car too.

I would not make a decision based on the length of the ride. accidents happen in seconds and people are more careless in their own neighborhoods.

But I would not let her booster in a car pool without knowing she can do it correctly in your car.

christineka

I think it would be best to just go get a high back booster, like the graco turbobooster or the evenflo sport booster. It's easy to move about, easily adjusts the shoulderbelt, and has the sides to remind the child to stay in place. The drive is only a half a mile, she should be able to sit properly for that long. I'd just remind her to sit properly every drive and ask the driver to remind her to sit properly if she gets out of place. I'd call these short drives "booster training". I would not use the backless until she's bigger, older, and more experienced in a booster.

prmommy

Ok....sounds like I need to reconsider this and perhaps purchase a different seat. Again, we were just alerted of the change on Tuesday so this is all happening very fast.

For those of you whose kids carpool, do you provide your own booster and keep it in the other persons car? I had originally been considering the Olli seat for an upcoming trip in November (we'll need to go by plane and rent a car) which is why I decided to go ahead and buy it now. I really don't want to fly with a high back booster when we'll already have a car seat in tow for my son.

My other concern is that she won't have enough room for a high back booster in the other moms car. Again, I don't even know what she's driving and she does have another (younger) child. I'm going to see her this afternoon so I'll be able to ask her more questions then.

I really wish this hadn't happened so fast......I feel so unprepared!

rachelandtyke

To fly with a high back, you take the back off and pack it in a suitcase, and then carry the bottom portion on like you would the no back booster you have. You don't have to lug the whole thing on board. :)

mominabigtruck

If she doesn't have room for a hbb then she really doesn't have room for your child. I keep trying to explain to my mom that a hbb doesn't take up anymore room then a lbb so why would I get rid of the hbb if he still fits in it.

If storage space is an issue you can look at the compass folding booster. It is a decent booster that is fairly inexpensive and folds up when not in use.
Posted via Mobile Device

babyherder

Talk to the other mom. Find out what car she has and what seating position(s) your kiddo will be in and how comfortable she is using a booster. If you provide a highback will it be used correctly?

prmommy

I REALLY should have asked these questions before I purchased the Olli. *sigh*:doh:

Perhaps I can return it and get the HBB instead. Or, anyone in need of a brand new Clek booster?? :whistling:;)

agurlsride

leighi123 said:
Thats not very far, couldn't she just walk or ride a bike? Here kindergarden kids walk farther than that to and from school.

Do they walk alone??? Perhaps the OP doesn't live in an area suitable for a 5yr old to walk home? I know I would never feel comfortable with that, at least not without an adult present.

Baylor

I agree that if she has no room for a HBB then she should not be in the car. She needs to be properly secured.

I would not put a child in a no back booster until they had mastered a HBB and I felt confident it. Going from a harness to a LBB is not a good idea.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I'd get a Graco Turbobooster for the friend's car. $40 at Target until tomorrow.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC