EZ-On Tether Retrofit

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I just picked up my EZ-On top tether retrofit today from the bus dealer. There are TWO in the package! Total cost was about $22. I'm so happy. I have one for its intended use ('99 Accord, if I recall the year correctly), and a spare... maybe I'll put it in my tech kit or maybe I'll see whether it is in fact possible to retrofit a Suburban without puncturing the gas tank...

Just had to share.

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I'd love to know more about your experience. What would be seat-dependent about it?

In my '00 Suburban, I'd love a TT anchor for the center 3rd row, which is the only lap belt in the vehicle. It would be nice to be able to install a FF car seat there and have it tethered.

In my friend's '98 Suburban, none of the official retrofit options will really work for her. She really needs to be able to put a FF car seat in the 2nd row without losing any of the seat belts in the 3rd row, and it would be nice to be able to use a tether in the 3rd row as well without losing cargo space. She's got a 9 passenger Suburban, a husband, and 7 kids with one more on the way... most of the kids live with her ex about 2/3 of the time, but she still has a fair amount of time when all or most of them are together. And you can imagine how much "stuff" needs to go along when you have the Suburban full to the gills.

AustinMusic

I don't know if it is of any help to you, but when I recently installed the E-Z-On Heavy Duty Tether Anchors in our family car, I recorded the installation and posted my photos in this thread.

The car in which I installed the anchors (2005 Ford Focus) did not have any pre-marked anchor locations, so I don't know if the process is completely applicable to your situation but hopefully it will be of some help.

Gary.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Both of the ones we did were '80's, and we did the driver's side middle row.

In yours, look under the burb and see what is under the spot you want to drill.

mommyfrog

Does anyone have any experience putting these in a 2000 Dodge 12 passenger van? It looks like we won't be able to afford exactly what we wanted to buy, but can get a great deal on that van. There are no top anchors though for the harnessed seats. The other option would be to try and put our seats from our 2002 in there. They do have top tethers in all the lap only spots. They don't match, but of course that doesn't matter as long as my kids are safe. I was just thinking if I could put the EZ-On tethers, my 8 yo could be harnessed longer in his Monterey with the EZ-On harness after he outgrows his Regent. That would leave the four lap/shoulder belts for the four oldest kids. Any ideas on if that would work or not?

flyever

I want install a E-Z-ON tether on my 1999 Buick Park Avenue. My 4 years old son is about 40 lb, sitting in a Britax Frontier 85 SICT. Which E-Z-ON product should I use, E-Z-ON Tether Mount or E-Z-ON 86Y Harness? Thanks!

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I want install a E-Z-ON tether on my 1999 Buick Park Avenue. My 4 years old son is about 40 lb, sitting in a Britax Frontier 85 SICT. Which E-Z-ON product should I use, E-Z-ON Tether Mount or E-Z-ON 86Y Harness? Thanks!

Actually, neither.

It's really confusing. The Tether Mount is a strap that's designed to hook to EZ-ON vests and harnesses. It comes with two tether anchors. This is the tether mount:
http://www.ezonpro.com/products/familyVehicle/tetherMount.shtml
tetherMount.gif

What you want is the EZ-On Tether Kit. The part number is #100H.

Here's a link to the catalog. The tether kit is on page 15:
http://www.ezonpro.com/catalogs/EZONvehicleCatalog_2005.pdf

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Thank you, Judi.

What is the E-Z-On Heavy Duty Tether Anchor AustinMusic mentioned?
AustinMusic's post (http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?p=1776259) is about E-Z-On 86Y harness. I am confused.

In his thread, he's installing the tether kit. The tether kit is for use with the 86-Y harness, which is why he mentions that. But it also works as a regular top tether retrofit for car seats, in situations where a factory tether anchor is not available.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
For the same purpose, can I buy a tether kit from a auto junkyard, install it in my car?

Not likely. Finding an added on EZ-on tether in a car in a junkyard would be like finding a needle in a haystack. A tether that is factory installed in a vehicle cannot be removed and taken to a different vehicle.
Hope that helps!

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Plus, how would you make a random tether anchor fit in a different car? Also, how could you tell if it had been crashed?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC