FF car seat on a plane - DD got her feet smooshed when person in front reclined how to protect next time.

MoonRocket

We took DD on a plane when she was ~20mo FF in her BLVD70. Her legs are still pretty short, but when the passenger in front reclined he totally smooshed her feet that were stuck between the car seat and his seat. She cried out (had been sleeping.) (The jerk didn't even acknowledge her either.)

Is there anyway to protect her on the next flight we just booked? (I think we may have left the seat in RF recline angle - so I'm guessing if put it more upright that will help - DH installed it while I played with DD.) It actually worked great as she slept the entire ride, other than when her feet got pinched.

Is this a common problem for FF kids on planes? When do you stop using a car seat on a plane? DD is almost 35" and about 27 pounds now.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I agree, I'd install it rear facing.

The FAA recommends using a carseat on board until 40 pounds, which is generally when the lap belt fits kids.

Wendy

leblanlm

Senior Community Member
I agree with installing it rear facing as well. But, be prepared to have it out with the flight attendants and make sure you have your documentation ready. We flew with our blvd a few times and the first couple of times they had no problem with him rear facing. The 3rd flight he was rear facing on the way there and on the way home the flight attendant put up a HUGE stink about him rear facing. I politely argued with her and pulled out my papers that had the FAA's position as well as the airline's that we were flying. She referred to her quick facts card on her lanyard and would not budge. I had to forward face him. I seriously thought if I would have argued more I would have been kicked off the plane. He was over 1yr on all of those flights.

J-max

CPST Instructor
We travel quite a bit, and I have a bit of a different tactic - but it usually works :D

First if our child fits rearfacing but you would be OK with them FF on the plane (I will FF on a plane long before I will do it in a car) - Off the person in front of you the choice of not reclining their seat at all or having the child kick the seat (and not being able to recline it all the way if you have a big seat like a Britax). Giving them that power seems to make most people feel better about the situation. also offer to buy them a drink during the flight - that helps a lot too.

Good luck!

leblanlm

Senior Community Member
I agree Jess and have done the same thing. However that one time the flight attendant wasn't having any of it! Maybe I should have offered to buy her a drink :p

J-max

CPST Instructor
I agree Jess and have done the same thing. However that one time the flight attendant wasn't having any of it! Maybe I should have offered to buy her a drink :p
LOL, I love it!

My dh is a pilot, so when we have gotten a crabby attendant - and it has happened - he pulls out his FAA flight credentials and it goes a long ways ;)

mimieliza

I wasn't allowed to RF my DS's convertible seat on Hawaiian. I'm still pretty cranky about it.

Anyway, installing it more upright (FFing) and encouraging your daughter to sit criss cross applesauce may help.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I wasn't allowed to RF my DS's convertible seat on Hawaiian. I'm still pretty cranky about it.

They're wrong. If that happens again, tell them you're going to turn the seat around, but if you have your FAA documentation show them, and if not, ask them to see their manual where it states the seat must be installed forward facing (not on a forward facing seat). I got a 38 year veteran to admit she was wrong doing that, and they had the gate agent watching me to make sure I following instructions, or else.

Piper was 3.5 at the time. The sole reason I wanted her rear facing was because with her Britax Wizard, it was SO much more of a hassle to deal with a seatbelt extender or get it undone without one than it was rear facing. At 3.5 I would have been fine with her forward facing on the plane if it hadn't been for that.

Wendy

babyherder

How about asking the person to recline their seat less? I know some people get cranky about it but I don't think anyone has the right to squish anyone else's feet to recline their seat. If I was a passenger I might put my seat back because I didn't know it would squish the kid behind me but if someone pointed out I was squishing their kiddo I would put my seat up.

hedgefun

I'm trying to get a good mental picture of this. My first choice would be to RF her. But if you want her FF, I think maybe next time just ask the person in front of her in advance to let you know if they're going to recline so you can reposition her feet before they move the seat. I'm thinking even if she throws her legs over the sides of the seat or puts them up in front of her as though she was RF, it wouldn't bother the person in front if she is just sleeping. At least it would prevent her feet from getting hurt.

Eresh

When I flew back from CA with the two boys the flight attendant bought me a drink ;). Not sure if she was supposed to do that, but anyhow...

I had no problem RF a scenera with my 5mo on 4 flights. Ds1 was in his maestro. I was able to buy tickets with points and then on the legs that offered upgrades I upgraded to economy plus for the extra legroom. On the two short legs we just all suffered through it but they were only one hour.

Especially on airplanes some people are just donkeys and feel entitled to making people around them suffer for ant inconvenience they may suffer. In general though, I've had really positive experiences with fellow travellers when I'm flying with kids.

MoonRocket

Thanks! DH said it didn't fit RFing- he thinks I'm crazy for making us buy a seat in the first place though, so I went with the pick your battles theory and let him put it ffing for the plane ride. He feels bad about her foot getting smooshed though so I think this time he'll be willing. I will play with the recline before we go. Truth is I know very little about ffing. I figured I had at least a year to figure that out.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It'll fit just fine rear facing. Recline the airplane seat and add weight to where her feet will go as it's being tightened so that it sits more upright. Then pull the airplane seatback back up.

Wendy

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I don't think so. Like you said, you're quite a bit away from that yet. I wouldn't worry about it. You hopefully have a year or two before you need to forward face.

The main gist of it, though, is harness at or above the shoulders, put the seat upright from reclined, and top tether (though not on a plane).

Wendy

MoonRocket

Thanks! I just feel like I should learn as I'm emergency contact for a friend who's child is too big for any of the seats I have RFing, so I figure I'd have to put her in my Radian FFing if I ever had to get her. (Totally off topic though.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC