Help dumped a Coke in my Safeseat

vonfirmath

It got ALL the way through my son and a friend's daughter without anything happening. And now its soaked -- and not by my kid. by ME! (And thankfully DD was not hurt. Just made sticky by the mess)

So how do I clean it? The canopy AND the cover are sticky/wet. The infant headrest is a bit sticky too.

ADS

Polola0628

Strip it (don't do this to the straps of course, just the cover and canopy) and throw it in the wash on COLD. hang it to dry. Voila :) And take a baby wipe or two to the shell to get the stick off. How are the straps doing? The most I'll usually do to straps is a once or twice over with a baby wipe if necessary.

glockchick

I'd strip it and then hose the shell and straps off with cold water while I washed the rest in the washer. Plain water to rinse off straps shouldn't hurt them and it gets the acid from the coke out of the fibers, so I figure it's better than wiping.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
I would pull off the cover, remove the strap and then hose the seat in the bathtub/shower... Wipe the harness really well with a damp cloth and wash the cover in the washer on delicate/gentle and line dry... hang it over the shower curtain rod with a fan blowing on it and it will dry overnight :)

I hate washing car seats! Even worse when it is my fault it has to be done! LOL

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
hahah i'm sorry, i read this as "cake" and i was like "WTF was she doing holding a CAKE over her seat? " lol.

vonfirmath

The cover and infant insert came VERY nicely cleaned in the washer (though I could not wash them "separately" as the instructions say :( I have a front loader and I had to add in a fleece blanket and three small pieces of clothes before it would start -- must have some sort of weight sensor in it!)

I hosed off the infant seat and it looks better than before the day started! I didn't even need to get down there with a rag to rub the sticky off (which I thought I was going to need to)

Unfortunately, right as I was doing, it got overcast outside and threatened rain, so instead of leaving to dry outside I brought it inside to the bathroom and it was not 100% dry when I left this morning (the foam inside was still wet). So my husband is home with the baby and no way to safely transport her in the car if there is an emergency! (Our spare car seat right now is a Britax Marathon (35 lb RFing) and I don't know if she'd fit it or not. She's only 7 weeks old, 12 pounds 3 oz today)

One hint for others who may have this same problem:
1a. If you spill Coke on your car seat when you are away from home, don't put the car seat in the grass outside to dry during the day.

1b. If you leave the car seat in the grass outside to dry during the day, don't be surprised if it is covered with ants when you go to put your kid in it.

1c. Don't put your kid in a car seat covered in ants. they might be fire ants!

Luckily, I discovered it before I set the car seat down in the car. I got all the ants I could out of the seat (lying her down on the floor in the back of my van while I worked with the seat.) But when we got home, there were STILL ants underneath the cover, busily working on the sticky spots!

glockchick

Oh I HATE fire ants! They're all over the place with this drought. I had to get them out of my pantry not so long ago and there's nothing not sealed in my pantry. It's crazy!

Glad you got it clean and your baby didn't get bitten. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC