Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

rear facing anchor point for Mazda5?

I'm slowly wading my way through my new Mazda5's owner's manual. [As if this trimester could get more "not fun," reading worsens my morning sickness.] Apparently the front passenger seat has weight sensors installed in the "sliders" (pardon my layperson terms). When the seatbelt is buckled but the seat senses less than about 66lbs on it, the airbag and pretensioners shut off, as indicated by a light on the dash. If less than about 92lbs is detected, the signal light is NOT illuminated, but the airbag and pretensioners may still be compromised. I currently have a rfing Britax Marathon tethered to the slider, which is bolted to the floor. Now I'm concerned that the rfing tether is affecting the weight-sensing systems of the front passenger seat and could compromise the car's safety features. What should I do?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

Re: rear facing anchor point for Mazda5?

by sliders, do mean the tracks that the seat slides on? if you have the carseat tethered to the track which is bolted to the floor, you're fine. if the tether is interfering with any movement of the seat at all, then i wouldn't use that anchor point.

from what i know of the sensors, they are mounted in the seat itself, inside the upholstery, and there are multiple sensors which not only sense the weight but the way the person is sitting in the seat.

does the manual say the sensors are in the sliders???
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

I don't think I would worry too much about that. The sensors should not have anything to do witht the sliders, as that is not where they are, just like SPB said. As far as haing the D-ring connected to the sliders, I also had to put my D-ring in that position in our Focus, and it did interfere with the movement of the seat. You could only slide the seat back to where the D-ring was attached. Thankfully, it was usually only Jenna and I in the car, so it didn't matter. I had her in the center position, and the D-ring was attached to the driver's seat. Because I was the only one driving, it didn't interfere with anything, as I wasn't moving the seat. If this would be the case. I wouldn't worry about having the D-ring attached to the slider.
    Amanda- CRST & Mom
    J-08/01/05 & M-09/14/08

Carseat Crazy

I slide the front seat forward, install the D-ring around the leg bolting the slider to the floor, then slide the front seat all the way back. Then I hook the tether to the D-ring, pulling it taut but not tight. That way it doesn't interfere with moving the front seat (which we only do to install car seats LOL). Is that okay?

Here's what the manual says: "These sensors are located under both of the front passenger seat rails."

Looking at it again this morning, I'm not very concerned. It doesn't seem to be putting much pressure on the seat.

My MA is RF tethered in our 5, and I would highly doubt that it would have an impact on the sensors. I don't have it tethered tightly, though, just so that it's taut.
    Namegirl
    DD in Turbo
    DS in Turbo, Pioneer
    DS in Diono
    DD in Britax B-Safe

Here is my thinking...it would only turn off the airbags and anytime there is someone who weighs over 92lbs they would always be on anyway. So yes there is a slight possibility that the airbags could be turned off if there is a force less then 92lbs and greater then whatever other weight you mentioned...but who cares if nobody is occupying the front seat. And I would bet that anyone sitting in your front seat weighs more then the 92 lbs anyway?!?!?