rear facing anchor point for Mazda5?

teekadog

I'm slowly wading my way through my new Mazda5's owner's manual. [As if this trimester could get more "not fun," reading worsens my morning sickness.] Apparently the front passenger seat has weight sensors installed in the "sliders" (pardon my layperson terms). When the seatbelt is buckled but the seat senses less than about 66lbs on it, the airbag and pretensioners shut off, as indicated by a light on the dash. If less than about 92lbs is detected, the signal light is NOT illuminated, but the airbag and pretensioners may still be compromised. I currently have a rfing Britax Marathon tethered to the slider, which is bolted to the floor. Now I'm concerned that the rfing tether is affecting the weight-sensing systems of the front passenger seat and could compromise the car's safety features. What should I do?

ADS

southpawboston

by sliders, do mean the tracks that the seat slides on? if you have the carseat tethered to the track which is bolted to the floor, you're fine. if the tether is interfering with any movement of the seat at all, then i wouldn't use that anchor point.

from what i know of the sensors, they are mounted in the seat itself, inside the upholstery, and there are multiple sensors which not only sense the weight but the way the person is sitting in the seat.

does the manual say the sensors are in the sliders???

Loves2sing

I don't think I would worry too much about that. The sensors should not have anything to do witht the sliders, as that is not where they are, just like SPB said. As far as haing the D-ring connected to the sliders, I also had to put my D-ring in that position in our Focus, and it did interfere with the movement of the seat. You could only slide the seat back to where the D-ring was attached. Thankfully, it was usually only Jenna and I in the car, so it didn't matter. I had her in the center position, and the D-ring was attached to the driver's seat. Because I was the only one driving, it didn't interfere with anything, as I wasn't moving the seat. If this would be the case. I wouldn't worry about having the D-ring attached to the slider.

teekadog

I slide the front seat forward, install the D-ring around the leg bolting the slider to the floor, then slide the front seat all the way back. Then I hook the tether to the D-ring, pulling it taut but not tight. That way it doesn't interfere with moving the front seat (which we only do to install car seats LOL). Is that okay?

Here's what the manual says: "These sensors are located under both of the front passenger seat rails."

Looking at it again this morning, I'm not very concerned. It doesn't seem to be putting much pressure on the seat.

Namegirl

Senior Community Member
My MA is RF tethered in our 5, and I would highly doubt that it would have an impact on the sensors. I don't have it tethered tightly, though, just so that it's taut.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Here is my thinking...it would only turn off the airbags and anytime there is someone who weighs over 92lbs they would always be on anyway. So yes there is a slight possibility that the airbags could be turned off if there is a force less then 92lbs and greater then whatever other weight you mentioned...but who cares if nobody is occupying the front seat. And I would bet that anyone sitting in your front seat weighs more then the 92 lbs anyway?!?!?:twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC