RF in 2003 subaru forester

U

Unregistered

I apologize in advance for asking a question that has surely been asked in the past. I have a 6-month old, 16lb, 28" child about to outgrow her chicco keyfit30. The chicco fits in the center of the subaru without the base.

We cannot have the front seats moved up very far, as we are both tall people. When we tried to use the chicco with the base, it rendered the front seat useless.

I am looking for a rear-facing car seat. I'm interested in the Radian XTSL primarily because it can remain RF for 45lbs, and forums say it gives kids lots of legroom.

Research indicates a First Years True Fit will fit better in my car.

Do you have any recommendations for me? Thank you!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
How tall are you and your spouse? I've not had a problem with the Chicco in a Forester with most parents (say 6' and under). It's a combination I do weekly, it seems.

Oh, and not to pry, but are you planning more kids? One child in a Forester of that era is usually easily doable, but two can be tricky. So if you're planning more kids now, we can try to accommodate the future child now.

Wendy

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I used to own a Radian and a 2003 Forester. A rear-facing Radian in the center is an extraordinarily difficult install. I would not count on it.

The classic Britaxes fit very well in that position.

U

Unregistered

Thank you for your replies. We are not planning anymore additions to the family, so we only need worry about one car seat. My husband is 6'3 and I am 5'8. When we used the chicco with the base, the passenger seat was inches away from the dash. I could get into the car, but just barely.

Any info on the First Years brand True Fit car seat? two people recommended it in a forester forum. Otherwise it was not on my list.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I've seen it in a Subaru (I can't remember if it was an Outback or Forester) behind each front seat, but I think those parents were about 5'8" each. So it should work.

I'd probably order it from somewhere with a good return policy, though, just in case.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

I went to BRU today to try the True Fit in my car. turns out my BRU doesn't have them in the store--only online. Saw the Graco SmartSeat, and was interested because it looked and felt more padded and cushy than the Britax Marathon. On a whim, I tried the SmartSeat in my forester, and it fit in the center position! The front seats have to be angled just so, but they can be all the way back. I didn't buy it however, because I couldn't find any maximum height information, and I wanted to do some research on it.

I did not actually install the GSS. I just placed it in the center at the proper incline.

Athena

I used to own a Radian and a 2003 Forester. A rear-facing Radian in the center is an extraordinarily difficult install. I would not count on it.

The classic Britaxes fit very well in that position.

As a Forester owner, I second the Radian not being an option. It does not puzzle well with the front seats in the middle position and does not leave room for a front seat passenger installed outboard.

Back when we had just one kid, our classic Britax Marathon puzzled perfectly when in the middle position to allow the front seats to be far back (all the way I think) and that worked great until we had another kid. :) I read here the true fit works well, but never found one in person to try it myself.

BananaBoat

Up until May our 2003 Forester was our only vehicle. I was never able to get a RF Radian installed well with front seat room. Our 3 year old used a True Fit Premiere RF behind the passenger seat & it worked well for us. We didn't like it center because it limited DH's ability to set the driver's seat as far back as he liked.

U

Unregistered

What is the maximum height on the marathon 70? It sounds like either it or TFP will work for me.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It has 16.75" top slots. The True Fit has 17.5" top slots. Overall height means nothing, since if you have a long torsoed child they'll go over the top slot before a short torsoed child, even if both are the same height.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

So glad I saw this thread. We are in a simlilar position. We have a 2003 Forester and a 2007 Legacy. My 9 month old twins are about to outgrow their chicco keyfit 30's by height. Because we have two kiddos we need seats that fit well behind the passenger and driver. My husband is 6'3" and I am 5'11". The chicco keyfit 30's (installed with bases) fit great and we are able to move our seats back as far as needed. Would the TF's be the best option for us? I've also been looking at the classic Britax's. Thanks.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC