What would you do when DD turns 5?

ilo

DD is 4 years old and RF in Multitech. She is 37lbs now and almost 40 inches. She has started asking to FF, but for now I told her no. I would like to make it up until she turns 5 RF but what should we do after that?

I think we have 3 choices:

1) safest would be to RF her regardless of her opinion (she has plenty of room to grow in MT)

2) booster her :( (does not seem safe to me as she might be barely 40lbs if even that and only 5)

3) import Frontier and use harness for a while until I would feel better about boostering (most expensive option and illegal)

How should I explain the RF to her. For now I said that mommy and daddy has researched this very well and we know that this safest option for her and we want to keep her as safe as possible. Then she asked why do her friends FF and why don't their parents want to keep them safe :confused:, I did not know what to comment to that as obviously I do not want her to go and tell other kids that they are not equally as safe...

ADS

ilo

Sorry I forgot to tell that we are in Europe now which is why I said we would need to import the Frontier for DD. Regardless of the legality I would feel better having her in Frontier 5-point harness than a HBB.

MaggieQ

Senior Community Member
Just tell her you'll talk about it again after her birthday. Some mommies and daddies just don't know its safer to ride backwards.
Doesn't the multi tech FF to 55# in the harness, too?
I would wait until she out grows that, and booster her after, and at least 40 #.

Sent from my EVO using Car-Seat.Org

ilo

Just tell her you'll talk about it again after her birthday. Some mommies and daddies just don't know its safer to ride backwards.
Doesn't the multi tech FF to 55# in the harness, too?
I would wait until she out grows that, and booster her after, and at least 40 #.

Multitech only goes to 18kg (about 40lbs) with FF harness and I think it performs quite badly when tested FF. The seat is so huge that I'm sure DD could RF way beyond her 5th birthday in it. She just looks way too little to ride in a booster.

ilo

Can you import the maestro instead of the frontier?? Is not that expensive

I guess I could but doesn't frontier make a better booster? Then I could use it later as a booster as well and the shipping would probably be equally as expensive for both of them.

I have two Multitechs and one Radian at the moment but my inlaw's car is small and only compatible with the Radian so it needs to stay there. I fits much better RF than FF there so DD will stay RF in that car until she is boostered or 45lbs.

lourdes

I don't know which one is a better booster but the maestro is less heavy, if you like the frontier and you can pay for it then get the frontier, I don't like the idea of booster for a 5 y/o but I am not a tech is just my opinion

libranbutterfly

How often does she ride in your in-laws car? Maybe you could get her a booster for in there and then let her try FF in the radian in your main car. Just a thought, to see how she does FF before you import a seat. If she is in each car equally then this might now work.

Otherwise I would just pick an age or weight hat you think you will feel comfortable with her FF/in a booster, and tell her you will consider her changing seats then.

lourdes

libranbutterfly said:
How often does she ride in your in-laws car? Maybe you could get her a booster for in there and then let her try FF in the radian in your main car. Just a thought, to see how she does FF before you import a seat. If she is in each car equally then this might now work.

Otherwise I would just pick an age or weight hat you think you will feel comfortable with her FF/in a booster, and tell her you will consider her changing seats then.

Great idea!

KaiLing

Some mommies and daddies just don't know its safer to ride backwards.

Thanks for this. Mine's been asking about kids in other cars and he's not yet 3! I don't want to bad mouth other people, but I don't want to just say "different families different rules" either. This is nice.

ilo

She drives with in-laws only about once a week. I like this idea as they really drive short distances with low speed only (pick her up from school). I think this is what we'll may end up doing if DD starts to complain loudly.

Anyway I talked with DH he thinks DD should use the Multitechs RF for as long as she fits. He says that we are weird anyway with a RF 4-year old so RF 5-year old will be only equally as weird LOL I guess he is right (and does not want to spend any extra on carseats).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC