Question Hating infant seat?

Mrs.Wicks

Has any of your babies hated their carseat?

My son screams bloody murder anytime we put him in his snugride. We are going to try him in the myride and see if that feels better for him.

Could it be the position of the recline, the material, or does he just hate being strapped in?

ADS

crunchierthanthou

It's worth a shot. Both of my kids hated the SnugRide. We moved them to convertibles at 5, and 3.5 months, respectively. Car trips became much more enjoyable once we did.

megan.amarice

We had to move my DD to a convertible seat at 4 months as well, as every ride in the car had her screaming bloody murder the entire time. We figure she had two issues: the recline of the seat and feeling too enclosed in the deep sides of the infant seat (a Keyfit). We moved her to a Coccoro and she was better. After a few months we were even able to go back to using the Keyfit as a spare seat. I wouldn't say she's ever loved being in the car, but at least she stopped screaming all the time. We're now expecting number 2 and are skipping the infant seat entirely this time around.

Mrs.Wicks

Thanks! Nice to hear we aren't alone. The infant seat isn't helpful, I enjoyed the fact that if he fell asleep in the seat we could just carry it out and not wake him (as we did with our first) but he screams the entire time. And if the trip is long enough that he wears himself out and he happens to pass out, he awakes the moment we take the seat out of the car. BAH! if it's the seat, it's gotta go. It is doing no good, not when there is a perfectly new, and safe seat awaiting him!

tam_shops

Oh my you just described my YDS right down to waking the second I turn the car off!! He seriously almost drove me insane and I can not believe his screaming didn't cause an accident! I tried him in a variety of baby buckets, borrowed everyone I could find to see if it helped, moved him into the MA and I wouldn't say it helped. When he got older feeding him helped. Now tic tacs help...

Other things that help(ed):
music
static on the radio
window open even w/ a/c on.
only taking him in the car when he is not tired
taking him on long trips 30min before his nap trip and crossing your fingers! LOL

That's about it...No idea if it had anything to do w/ anything car related, but he had multiple ear infections along the way and we later discovered he has fluid in his ears, which has affected his hearing as well. So glad I never yelled at him yelling at me in the car b/c he wouldn't have heard me anyway! LOL

tam

Stelvis

That was DS until about 15 months. Didn't matter what seat it was. Nothing helped. He never slept in the car, just screamed. Then when he was old enough to notice stuff out the window and talk about it, he calmed down on his own. Switching to the convertible is worth a shot though.

arly1983

Oldest two hated their infant seats and loved convertables.

Youngest hated all carseats period until he was a little over a year old. I have so many pictures of him screaming in just about every carseat we own, LOL.

Mysweethoneybee

Yeah my youngest hated the snugride 22 we had when he was born. I got a SS1 and he loved it. I know the SS1 we had was much more padded. But then we put him in an Evenflo Titan and he hated it but loved the Evenflo Triumph.

scariestone

DS got so hot in his infant seat which made him miserable and he therefore hated car rides. He outgrew it by height at around 8 months, was moved to a convertible and has been a perfect car rider ever since.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC