Cash Cab on Disc. Channel

Momto2whosews

Senior Community Member
Has anyone seen this yet? I think it's a new show. Unsuspecting people get into a cab in NYC and they get asked trivia questions to win $$$. Anyway, I haven't seen any kids in the cab yet, thank goodness, but then I've only seen one episode. Some of the passengers were even wearing seatbelts.

But watching it, I thought something was weird about the interior of the cab - besides the flashing lights on the ceiling. It's a Toyota Sienna. Then I realized, all of the headrests have been removed. The passengers (and driver's) heads are just out there, free to whip back and forth in a sudden stop.

I don't live in a city so please, tell me, why would they do this? Is it typical in cabs? I thought maybe they were using aftermarket seat covers and the headrests didn't fit. Or maybe there are no headrests for hygeine reasons.

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I haven't seen the show but I'm guessing they removed the headrests for filming purposes, to get a better camera angle and view of the back seat passengers from the front seat. I think they did something similar in the movie Knocked Up, where the front headrests were missing in vehicles to make it easier to see the kids riding in the back seat during car ride scenes. :(

natysr

I love that show. Its been on for at least a year. The host is the same guy that does Dirty Jobs. He is also a stand up comic. He actually has to memorize the questions and answers before the show, because he can't read and drive at the same time.

I actually ignore the seatbelt thing. I suspect that very very few cab passengers actually wear seatbelts anyway.

I agree that the headrests were probably removed for filming purposes.

Simplysomething

Has anyone seen this yet? I think it's a new show. Unsuspecting people get into a cab in NYC and they get asked trivia questions to win $$$. Anyway, I haven't seen any kids in the cab yet,

I have!
A little girl, somewhere between 5-9...totally sitting in the seat incorrectly. Belt behind her, leaning out of the seat, etc.

Momto2whosews

Senior Community Member
I love that show. Its been on for at least a year. The host is the same guy that does Dirty Jobs. He is also a stand up comic. He actually has to memorize the questions and answers before the show, because he can't read and drive at the same time.

I actually ignore the seatbelt thing. I suspect that very very few cab passengers actually wear seatbelts anyway.

I agree that the headrests were probably removed for filming purposes.

OK, I guess I'm behind the times then since I saw it for the first time last night. The host isn't Mike Rowe (from Dirty Jobs) though - trust me, I have a slight crush on Mike Rowe, so I'd know. :eek: I think his name is Ben Bailey.

The headrest thing really bothered me though. I wonder what I'd do if I had to ride in a cab with no headrests. Just pray, I guess. Glad there weren't any kids in the cab last night at least.

If it's for filming, I guess I can understand the front seat (for the cameraman) and the middle row, but why remove them from the back row too? It actually looks like there are some sort of pillows attached to the seat covers, almost headrests but they are way too low. A guy sat back there and the pillows were below his shoulders.

There are some video clips on the Disc. channel website http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/cashcab/about/about.html

NHCPSTECH

Senior Community Member
I have an 04 Sienna and those pillow like things on the seat covers, ARE the head rests, in the lowest setting. They do extend upward. In order for the 3seats to fold up and into the trunk space, they have to be set in the lowest position.

I like the show too and did notice the head rests were removed in the 2nd row. As to no seat belts, I chalked it up to how folks probably ride most of the time in a cab...and that fact that it's probably not required by law in a car for hire, (and that so many people are naive to think a crash won't happen to them, (many celebrities!) and don't buckle up in a limo, taxi etc) The day I see a child improperly restrained will probably be the last time I watch the show though...and then I'll have to send off my complaint letter or fill out one of those media watch forms from safetybeltsafe.

R.

Momto2whosews

Senior Community Member
I have an 04 Sienna and those pillow like things on the seat covers, ARE the head rests, in the lowest setting. They do extend upward. In order for the 3seats to fold up and into the trunk space, they have to be set in the lowest position.

I like the show too and did notice the head rests were removed in the 2nd row. As to no seat belts, I chalked it up to how folks probably ride most of the time in a cab...and that fact that it's probably not required by law in a car for hire, (and that so many people are naive to think a crash won't happen to them, (many celebrities!) and don't buckle up in a limo, taxi etc) The day I see a child improperly restrained will probably be the last time I watch the show though...and then I'll have to send off my complaint letter or fill out one of those media watch forms from safetybeltsafe.

Thanks! I guess they are removed for filming purposes. And at least now I know what I'll do if I'm ever in a cab like that - sit all the way in the back - why that would ever happen to me, I don't know. But it's one less thing to worry about at night :p

Nice to hear from you BTW. Did you ever get my PM reply about the NH CPST course? I wasn't sure it went through when I sent it.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I enjoy the show although I don't often get to watch.

I noticed the headrest thing too and assumed it was for the camera.

Occasionally passengers will wear seatbelts and I have seen a couple of young kids (7-10) w/ and w/o seat belts. One of the kids correctly answered a question that won her family a couple hundred $. Pretty cool!

Taxis aren't know for the passenger safety. I was still in grade school the first and only time I was ever in one and remembering noticing there were not seat belts. Since the majority of taxi traffic is in urban, congested traffic, most crashes wouldn't involve highway speeds. . .when was the last time you heard about a fatal accident involving a taxi?

skaterbabs

1. my kids LOVE watching that show - seatbelt non-use is a given with it and I try not to watch. Even the boys have commented on it from time to time.
  2. crashes with taxis are VERY common. My sister used to be a taxi driver.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC