Vent What does everyone think of this seat?

emy_lou

I was on ebay just looking around and I stumbled across this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-be...112?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e630f7088

It really makes me mad because it say's in the Description its for children 9 MONTHS to 5 yrs. :0 I mean I can see using it for MAYBE 4-8? If it would fit them... Its kinda like the RSTV's but wow, a 9 month old, really? They should still be rear-facing!

Now, I know this seat is more then likely from China or Japan or something like that, Seeing as there is another language on the page and all... Also, I dont know how they do car seat things over there but... I would still think the infants should be rear-facing!

Anyways, Just wanted to see what everyone else's thought's on it where and if someone could educate me a little more on it. Does anyone have one of these, and if so, do you actually use it?

ADS

luckyclov

It's not at all like the RSTV.

Did you see the "installation" pictures?:eek:

I highly doubt that thing could even pretend to restrain a Barbie in a crash, let alone a real child.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
It is not FMVSS approved, so can not be used in the US. With the skinny harness and the plastic buckled, I doubt it would hold in a crash.

emy_lou

That's Exactly what I was thinking too!

I just hate to see things like this come out. Parents who dont know any better end up with them and a lot of children die! Wish people would stop trying to make things like these! :(

Brigala

CPST Instructor
If products like this didn't exist, it might be easier to make it legal to import, say, a Swedish seat.

This is why our government says NO seats can be used in this country unless they pass US-approved testing. It doesn't matter whether they pass testing in some other country or not.

I wish eBay would remove stuff like this. I've seen other similar child "restraints" from China on eBay in the past. None of them have a chance of protecting a child in a crash, and none of them are legal to use in the US. At most they might help deter a child from bouncing around in the car and causing a distraction to the driver, or maybe falling out the window. So I won't say they're worse than nothing, but they're not crash protection.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Actually, I just filed a report with eBay. I've never done that before. But it fits quite easily into the prohibited category because:

The listing encourages, promotes, facilitates, or instructs others to engage in illegal activities.

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
The only reason that the child might not fly out the window is because you also buckle the lap/shoulder belt over the top of this lovely system! Crazy. Possibly slightly better than the way most children are transported in China (where this "seat" is coming from) - on laps or standing up. Definitely not crash-worthy!

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
That could be useful in lieu of a tradional booster seat at the TABLE, but the child wouldn't be able to reach the table....maybe with that thing you put under the chair legs to lift the whole chair.

Susan

Mrs.Wicks

In Canada, we aren't allowed to ship car seats over from the states. The laws are tight! This contraption frightens me.

emy_lou

In Canada, we aren't allowed to ship car seats over from the states. The laws are tight! This contraption frightens me.

That makes me happy to hear! :) I dont really know ALL the laws about car seats here in the states... All I know is I buy them from here and I use them properly for my kids! Its not that hard to read the manual! lol!!!

I'm just so tired of ppl NOT using any kind of car seats, or using expired car seats (like the Century's), or using car seats incorrectly! And then I see something like this and I get so mad, because I know that somewhere along the line someones going to get it and use it and a child is going to end up hurt or worse over something so stupid as THIS!!!

Brigala

CPST Instructor
There are several other, similar harnesses for sale on eBay.

I have started reporting all of them. Maybe if a bunch of us file reports when we run across these, eBay will listen and start prohibiting them (on the US site, anyway). I don't think they're legal in any English-speaking country except maybe India (I don't know whether India has any car seat laws or not).

emy_lou

There are several other, similar harnesses for sale on eBay.

I have started reporting all of them. Maybe if a bunch of us file reports when we run across these, eBay will listen and start prohibiting them (on the US site, anyway). I don't think they're legal in any English-speaking country except maybe India (I don't know whether India has any car seat laws or not).

Very True!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC