Monterey vs Probooster

gagenivy

I am in hopes y'all aren't growing overwhelmed by my many questions:)
Hopefully, this is the last one pertaining to HBB...I am torn between the Recaro Pro Booster and the Sunshine Kids Monterey. The Pro Booster has a limit of 2" less than the Monterey but I am wondering if in the grand scheme of things, is a 2" difference a deciding factor? Can the Pro Booster be backless? Thank you!

Oh, my son is 11 y/o (almost 12), 47", 74 lbs. He is on growth hormones and his growth was 5 cm over the last year.

ADS

emandbri

Even though the limits don't reflect it the pro booster is taller. The pro booster does not turn into a backless though.

Does your car have side air bags? If so you might want to put him in a backless because of his age.

Kat_Momof3

the probooster cannot be used backless.

forget overall height limits... the difference in belt guide heights is only an inch or so.

plus, the probooster is (between the wings) noticeably narrower than the probooster (when you consider the Monterey's expand)

My daughter will easily last in it till she outgrows the probooster, but her brother would NEVER have... He asked if he could sit in it to try it out... I said sure... I'm used to most boosters where, even if the kid has recently outgrown it, they can sit in it... not him in the probooster... his shoulders were as wide as the outside of the wings.

I'd go with the Monterey as your son is not a skinny child by build and, because of his age, once his growth picks up, you may want to remove the back.

however, if because of his age (assuming it gives a good belt fit on him), you want to go straight to a backless, there are a lot of backless boosters that we could recommend based on what you are looking for.

gagenivy

I appreciate your input, thank you:)
I am just uneasy about him in a backless-am I being overly paranoid? Part of me feels bad, putting him into a HBB and part of me thinks it would fit him better. He was in an Evenflo Amp which was a very unsafe fit, and is now in a Graco Turbo (backless) and fits ok...just really torn:/

agurlsride

agurlsride said:
My kids are fairly small as well, my 11yr old rides a Harmony Literider

Oops, I sent that before I was finished!

My son is at that age where he is totally embarrassed to be riding in a booster as none of his peers still do. He is the smallest in his class.
I wouldn't be afraid to put your son on a backless at almost 12, you want him to be safe but also not crush his self esteem, boys at that age can be extremely cruel.

gagenivy

Agurlsride-you bring up a good point, thank you:) He seems ok with it. I home educate and I am not sure kids would ever really notice:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC