Unexpected Multi Tech Issue

oxeye

I ran into an issue with my Multi Tech that I didn't expect. We drove 10 hours to Las Angeles to take the kids to Disneyland earlier this week. I installed the Multi Tech for my 2.5 year old DS as I thought it would be nice for a long trip and he is very close to the RF limit on his classic Marathon and I wouldn't be able to weigh him daily.

Around hour 6 of the trip he started screaming. I figured he was just sick of the car, but it was unusual as he's always been my happiest car traveler. We stopped again, let him calm down, put him back in the car, and he was okay for another 20 minutes until he started crying uncontrollably again. We stopped again and at this point I noticed that the Multi Tech has absolutely no padding under the butt. Poor DS's butt cheeks were bright red from the constant pressure on the seat. He's also recently potty trained so he has less padding there from a diaper, plus on potty breaks I wasn't getting a look at the poor guy's bottom.

So here we are in the middle of nowhere with a seat I couldn't bear to put him back in. I ended up putting some soft folded clothes under his bottom. Obviously parental decision in this circumstance and a temporary measure until we found a Babies R Us. I bought him a Marathon 70 for the rest of the trip, though he only has about an inch of growing room left RF.

I love the Multi Tech otherwise, but I think it's going to live in the second car now because it is definitely is not a long car trip seat. :(

ADS

jenfrogmom

I had this same issue and spoke to Carseat.se about it, he said it is ok to put a not too thick piece of foam in there.

tjham

I had that problem in a Chase and put a small (unused :p) disposable diaper behind my granddaughter's lower back, under the cover. It's not that different than if she had the diaper on!

Phineasmama

I had that problem in a Chase and put a small (unused :p) disposable diaper behind my granddaughter's lower back, under the cover. It's not that different than if she had the diaper on!

Oh come on, a used one would be so much more squishy! :p

moonmommy

Senior Community Member
Good to know. Kind of surprising given how pricey the seat is! I wonder if the TWE has more padding in the seat.

tl01

I'm not saying that AD had any authority but I know he had contact with Britax engineers. Perhaps this is a common complaint that he has discussed with them. I know he asked one of them a question for me a while back.

ETA.. sorry about the thumbs down... I think DS2 added that while crawling on me while I was posting.

Last edited:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Brio did approve a similar modification for the Zento- they had an approved piece of memory foam they sent out. I can see it being approved, easily, but I'd want it from the horse's mouth so to speak.

Leche Mami

Interesting. Our 5 year old has traveled extensively in both our MT (23 hours - split into 2 days) and TWE (10 hours in 1 day) and has never mentioned bottom soreness ever. I'd guess it is highly dependent on the kid. How he positions his legs might also make a difference. For example, if he puts them up straight on the seat, that would create more of a pressure point than if he sat cross legged and his weight was better distributed.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC