Question Used car seat?

Mrs.Wicks

Hello, friends.

I have taken your advice on our carseat situation and have finally purchased a graco nautilus for our 4.5 yr old. He is going to be moved out of the my ride 65 (which we bought for his little brother).

Now, here's the thing. We were using the eddie Bauer 3-in-1 deluxe, with your word, we realised it was unsafe. So what do we do with this car seat now? Does it go in the landfill or is there a certain place I can drop it off. I would prefer it not sit in a landfill. We live in Ontario.

Please, any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Your friend,

Jolaina

ADS

Jessica61624

How is it unsafe? Did your child out grow it or is it expired? As long as its not expired and you've followed the manual on cleaning(such as not washing the harness in the washer) you can donate it or try selling it.

Keeanh

If it isn't expired, crashed, mistreated, or unknown history, it's only unsafe as a booster. It's still a fine convertible seat. If any of the above are true, however, you could salvage the cover and destroy the seat. I'm sure you can find someone with a 3-in-1 who would appreciate having an extra cover on hand.

T4K

If I remember correctly, the OP's child outgrew the seat.

OP, I would pass it along to someone who may need a seat or save the cover and trash the seat.

Mrs.Wicks

He outgrew the harness and then the harness was recalled so we threw it out. We were using it as a booster and it wasn't positioned correctly as such. It was not a hand down from someone we didn't know. We bought it brand new (before doing research on it) and have had it for 4 years. There isn't much life left on it.

I also dont know anyone who is currently using one that would need the cover (it is also lightly stained, don't think anyone would want it IF they had one anyway)

So I am just looking for the best place to put it to be done.

Emi's Mommy

If you have a Babies R Us near you, you can hang onto the seat for the next trade in event. There you can trade it in for a discount on another seat or other baby item and they'll dispose of the seat for you.

Might be worth it if you have some space to store it for awhile. They do the trade in's once or twice a year.

Mrs.Wicks

We were originally holding on to it for that event, to get the nautilus, but it went in sale (32%) off so we purchased it.

I suppose we could keep it for when our littlest outgrows his my ride?

tiggercat

I would probably just trash it, to be honest.
Unless you're in the Ottawa area, I am looking for a couple of clean-ish demo seats, and an AO is a nice common one that I don't have. ;)
Just read again that it doesn't have the harness? Yeah, probably trash.

Car Seat Tech

If the car seat has been in any accident then it needs to be destroyed.. i.e. Belts cut and damaged beyond use. If it is past expiration date- yes they do expire then again it needs to be damaged! If you do not know the history of it- damage it! Otherwise if none of the above is applicable you may use it or pass it to a friend! Most of the time we recommend not buying or using a car seat that you do not know the history!

acoro

If you have a Babies R Us near you, you can hang onto the seat for the next trade in event. There you can trade it in for a discount on another seat or other baby item and they'll dispose of the seat for you.

Might be worth it if you have some space to store it for awhile. They do the trade in's once or twice a year.

I was going to say this...i've been hanging onto mine for a long time but ended up getting my SR35 cheaper at sears since it was never in stock at BRU during trade and save....but i digress

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC