5 Year Old Killed In Wreck, No Seatbelt

luvmy2

http://www.registerbee.com/servlet/...RB_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173351770773

The back story is horrible though. The mom and daughter were at a wedding where mom had a few drinks. Grandmom to the little girl asked to take the girl home because she said the mom didn't need to drive. The mom insisted on driving. They wrecked, the little girl was killed on impact. According to the newspaper she wasn't wearing a seatbelt. The mom is at Duke in stable condition. I just can't even imagine.

ADS

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
so not only was that poor child not in a seatbelt, but she was in the care of her intoxicated driving mother!?

wth!?!??! i wouldnt care WHO wanted to drive, the child would have went with whoever was sober...

keri1292

:( How tragic. Ya know, the authority shift from my daughter to mother of my grandchild can be rough but, I think grandma knew best this time. :( I could never look my mother in the eye again.

amyg530

clearly its the moms fault but at the same time the Gmaw should have not let the mom drive or drive with the girl. my mom has told me time and time again that she would never hesitate to take my child from me if i wasnt taking care of him (not that she ever thinks she would have to) and i know that if she thought i was to drunk to drive (never gonna happen b/c i dont ever drink but stil) she would not only not let me drive but she would kick my a$$ for even trying to drive my kid.

i do think that once you have your own kids your parents shouldnt have to parent you anymore but at the same time if they are aware that something is going on they deal with it/

Dragonflymama

:( How tragic. Ya know, the authority shift from my daughter to mother of my grandchild can be rough but, I think grandma knew best this time. :( I could never look my mother in the eye again.

Yes, I agree that it is a tough shift from mom-to-grandmother and this grandma did the right thing to try to convince daughter not to drive the child. As far as looking her mom in the eye, I think this woman's problems will start with looking herself in the mirror each morning... the guilt must be crushing. I would not wish this sorrow on anyone.

My heart breaks for this poor child and also for her mother who displayed horrid judgment and will no-doubt pay a huge price for the rest of her life.

So very sad.

kangato2roos

I was thinking of linking to this story tonight.

I saw her obituary in the paper this morning and thought how tragic it was such a young child died (they don't have her picture on the website, but it was in the obit in the paper, she was a stunningly beautiful little girl), then went looking for the article and found that.

It's horrible and I don't know how the mother will live with herself, knowing her decisions killed her child. Drunk or not (we still don't know yet), she wasn't wearing a seatbelt much less in a seat at all, so she had no chance no matter what caused the wreck. The mom will be fine, she's physically recovering well so far... I don't know how she'll do emotionally though.

This is my hometown. This is where I LIVE. I see kids like her all the time, not in seats, not in seatbelts. Shoot, over half my coworkers blow me off and don't buckle up their TWO YEAR OLDS in seatbelts, forget having car seats for them!

I clipped the obit to show to some of the people I work with... maybe with the news of this poor little girl they'll start buckling up their own precious cargo.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
How tragic!!!!!!

I have so much to say, but I will refrain from saying anything that will take away from the little one's remembrance.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC