88 Pontiac Grand Am

U

Unregistered

My RF infant seat fits great in the backseat. I tried to put my FF Cosco Scenera (i think thats the name) in this weekend and no matter how tight i get the belt, the back easily comes forward. I have no idea how to make it right.

ADS

lovinwaves

As long as the Scenera does not move more than inch side to side or front to back at the "beltpath", then the seat is just fine. After that, you can attach the top tether to help reduce the child's forward head movement in the event of a crash.

In order to get your child restraint tight you must first be able to lock the seatbelt. There are a variety of ways to do that, but at last resort you may need to use a locking clip.

How old is the child in the Scenera, and what is their weight?

jdsmom

My son is 18 months, 21lbs and 31 inches.

The seat we have is a FF only... The seat belt does lock, thats how i was able to get it as tight as i did.. i dont think it can get much tighter. My main concern was the amount of forward travel the back does. How do i tether it to make it more secure?

Thanks

scatterbunny

At 21 pounds, he is really at the bare minimum to go forward-facing; here we like to ask, "why do just the bare minimum when it comes to safety?"

Your Alpha Omega is a convertible carseat; meaning, it CAN rear-face (to 35 pounds, highest rear-facing weight limit on the market), then it can forward-face (to 40 pounds, or when shoulders go over top harness slots, which are the second-to-top headrest setting).

Do you have the base on or off? It can be removed if it helps the install.

Your 88 should not have locking belts, as far as I know. What infant seat did you have installed?

jdsmom

I have a graco snugride that i am able to get very tight and have almost no movement. The Alpha Omega i have does not have a base.

My seatbelts are locking in the backseat, i am able to get the bottom part pretty snug, its the back movement that concerns me.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
An untethered RFing seat is not going to be tight at the head. You're looking for less than 1" of movement AT THE BELT PATH. It will rebound in a collision and cocoon back toward the back seat. That's fine, that's what it's designed to do. Unless it's tethered (and only Britaxes, Sunshine Kids, and the new Recaros are designed for that) it'll rebound.

At 16 months and 21 pounds definitely turn your kiddo RFing again. It's so much safer, and you have 14 whole pounds to go in that seat. It's really a great RFing seat.

http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/StayRearFacing.aspx Check out the videos at the bottom. They're really quite telling. The videos are of a tethered RFing seat, but you'll probably see why it's so important to keep a young baby RFing.

Here's another picture to go with that. http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=13&topic_id=44503&mesg_id=44503&page
The neck bones of a one year old can move up to two inches. The spinal column only a quarter inch. That's a lot of movement and bones are sharp. What can result is called internal decapitation. It's really quite scary.

Wendy

lovinwaves

I have a graco snugride that i am able to get very tight and have almost no movement. The Alpha Omega i have does not have a base.

My seatbelts are locking in the backseat, i am able to get the bottom part pretty snug, its the back movement that concerns me.

Again the carseat ONLY needs to be tight at the BELTPATH not anywhere else on the seat. Less than an inch movement is what you want.

You are going to install him rear-facing right? If so, then yes there WILL be movement with the carseats back. It's kind of like how your Graco SnugRide base moves (the part nearest the front of the vehicle). This is Ok, and there shouldn't be any worries.

How is the seatbelt locking? Is it in the latchplate? If so, you may need to flip it over and then buckle it to keep it locked. This is a technique commonly used with Locking Latchplates. Because they must be FLAT to stay locked. Sometimes the child restraint will have the seatbelt latch tilted slightly enough to keep the seatbelt from staying locked.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC