First big car seat event...

mykidsmylife

I have participated in 2 car seat clinics but those were small with a total of 7 people at each event. Today was my first big event since being at this base. There were 8 techs there and all were pretty good. There was some old school practice like shelf liner on all leather, kneeling in the seat to make it one with the car etc. but overall the techs knew their stuff. The hardest part was they did not practice parents are last to touch the seat. They made sure the parents watched the install and told them how to do it. I made sure the parents could install seats before leaving as that is how it should be.

I installed about 15 seats possibly more, I lost track. I watched several forward facing toddlers get turned rear-facing and I helped a mom turn her 11m old rear-facing. She cried b/c she felt so bad that she didn't know better.

I gave away 2 seats even though we were only supposed to do 1 per family. WE all agreed it was best. Mom and Dad came in with 3 yr old (32lbs) in a Harmony backless and 1 yr old (25lbs) in a Scenera with no harness and seatbelt across the front. Both boys had the shoulder belt behind their backs. Both got new seats. Dad wanted to rear-face the 1 yr old and mom wanted to research it more so he left forward facing.

I got to see the OnBoard Air. It will be the seat to a 4lbs preemie. Dad was excited when I told him he picked a great seat. :)

Overall it went well. They want me to come back (next week) as well as voulenteer with other programs. They teach pregnant moms at the high school about child safety and want me to help with the car seat program. :) So eventually I pray it will lead to a job.

Oh and I met one girl there. She wants to get certified. I told her to come here. 15m old was rear-facing in the CA65. It kept tilting so the other tech said it was incompatible with her car. I stepped in and told her that what was pulling the seat up (it was tilting a lot) was from the ALR being locked. So we unlocked it and installed the seat using the locking clip and it worked. :)

I learned a few things and taught a tech a few things and everyone was very receptive.

ADS

bnsnyde

That is awesome! I am working one tomorrow with about 8 others.
I'm a little worried that 8 techs together from all walks of life/training/eras won't agree on the same practices.

At the last one I worked at, it was FF at 2 automatically. I would at least bring up RF to the parents, but the other techs thought I was batty. :)

I would like some pointers on how others handle parents touching the seats last. That did not happen at the seat check in my class.
So I guess my question is how to make that happen. Nobody seemed to try to make that the norm at the class check event. And, of course, it was very fast-paced, too.

Last edited:

mykidsmylife

Well you double check it to make sure the install is good, it is just that they are the last one to install it.

At this one is was very fast paced. I mean we did spend about 15-30 min with each family, but there were so many cars lined up. I think that is why the other techs did not have to parents copy the installs.

I only did 3 seats where I was last to install but that was because mom was due any day trying to keep up with 4 kids so she really could not get in there and install the seats. I showed her exactly how I did it and did step by step instructions.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Cool!

I am working one with SBS tomorrow. I'm, uh, hoping I don't get partnered with the tech I disagreed with last time again. LOL.

mykidsmylife

I was worried. The lady I was paired with set up the event. She didn't really know much about current seats and thought the 3-in-1's were great seats as they are the last seat a kid would need. She can install a seat though and she is all for rear-facing well past age 2. She was crabby in the beginning and I was worried but it was great working with her.
I think she didn't realize just how much experience I had and I shocked her. LOL. She was impressed with me, as I was with her.

I didn't ask around to see if there were off post events tomorrow. I would not be able to get childcare anyways.

Good luck tomorrow. Hope you get someone nice. :)

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
The parent does the last install and then a sr checker/instructor come and double check both of y'alls work. But hopefully, you--the tech--have been watching closely and are coaching the parent through the install.

Susan

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC