New Car Seat? Radian questions

awesomelife

Hi all

I've been reading a lot more on car seats recently just because I feel like all I've learned the first time around seems to keep changing. I keep ending up reading things on this forum and since everyone usually has good answers, I'm wondering if you guys can help me out with this.

I have my 3 year old rear facing in a Radian XTSL and so far, it's working out. His older car seat, a Britax Roundabout and a Roundabout 55 are no longer in use. My 1 year old is in a Chicco KeyFit 30. We're getting a "new" car next month and I wanted to move the 1 year old into one of the old Britax car seats. However, my biggest concern is this: His head has always been in the lower percentile, unlike my oldest. I'm trying to decide whether or not he needs a new car seat that has more head support or will the old Britax's be ok for him? All our car seats were purchased new, not expired and not been in any accidents.

If the Britax won't work, what are some recommendations? I'd prefer not to have to buy more, but will if I have to. Baby is tiny. He's only 18 pounds and 28 inches tall.

With the Radian, I've read that there are problems with latch? Any thoughts on that? As far as I understand, is it still a good car seat as long as I use lap/shoulder belt?

Thanks all!!

ADS

JerseyGirl'sMama

Congratulations on keeping your oldest rear-facing so far!!! Great job! :)

I cant imagine a one year old being too small for either of those Britax seats. :confused:

JerseyGirl'sMama

JerseyGirl'sMama said:
Congratulations on keeping your oldest rear-facing so far!!! Great job! :)

I cant imagine a one year old being too small for either of those Britax seats. :confused:

ETA: Some people have noticed the latch strap can loosen if the metal component on the strap gets kicked or stepped on. Just test yours out. I've had no problems with mine.

awesomelife

Thanks for replies! I just realized I forgot to include the most important part. My youngest also has a small head and since the Roundabout doesn't have those head wings like the Radian, should I get a seat with them since his head has a lot more moving room in those seats unlike big bro?
Thanks!

monstah

Thanks for replies! I just realized I forgot to include the most important part. My youngest also has a small head and since the Roundabout doesn't have those head wings like the Radian, should I get a seat with them since his head has a lot more moving room in those seats unlike big bro?
Thanks!

He should be fine. :D But if it's a problem, you can roll up small towels or receiving blankets and place them on either side of his head after he's buckled for support. Nothing too bulky, not under his head or the straps, just on the sides.
I did this for DD1 when she was younger because she seems to be cursed with a neck made of jelly. :p

Pixels

I've met several babies who didn't fit a Britax until 13 months or older, but that's torso height, not head size.

cpsaddict

If it's a Roundabout 55, which is the new generation, he would for sure be fine, since the sides are much deeper than the older models. If it's a Roundabout 50, then he should still be fine, but rolled blankets on either side should work.

awesomelife

Thank you! Glad to get other opinions and not worry about another seat. I'll move him to the 55 and use the other as spare :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC