Getting 3 kids and 3 seats through the airport

BrookeSLP

Any suggestions on how to do this? I'll have 3 MAs and 3 kids to fly with in a few weeks. My DH will be with me, but I don't have any idea on how we will negotiate the airports.

ADS

waterbaby

We just did this a couple of months ago when we moved. I'll tell you now, it's a workout, but it can be done!
We got two GoGoKidz wheelies for our two Marathons. And I just took the single stroller for the bucket seat (think travel system). We gate checked the stroller and took all car seats on the plane. DH got to push/pull the Marathons while holding his shoulder briefcase, and I pushed the stroller/bucket while carrying my purse, diaper bag, and carry-on for the girls.
The wheelies are *awesome* with the car seat, but with the Marathons, at least, a bit time consuming to attach/detach. It's easy, it just takes a good few minutes to detach them. And they won't fit rolling down the aisle of the airplane, we had to take them off (which gave us another two things to carry on, including car seats, bags, AND kids). So, while I love the wheelies, I really wish they just snapped on/off, kwim? You can leave them on the car seats to take on the plane and THEN detach them, it's just in a more confined space. I think next time, that's what we'll do instead of taking them off before getting on the plane. You can buckle the seat in with the wheels on, too, it will just push the seat up 2-3 inches and eats up any extra leg room, which is cramped already. They do fit very nicely in the overhead storage, too!
Next time we travel, we won't have the bucket seat, so I think we'll do two backpack carriers for two of the Marathons, and the third on a wheelie (we'll be traveling with three Marathons), or maybe invest in some travel-friendly car seats.
It wasn't horrible, but it could have been easier. It could have been a lot harder, too, lol. I over-packed, too, so we could easily eliminate at least one carry-on next time we travel.
ETA: I just read your siggy and our girls are almost exactly the same ages as your girls, ours are just a bit younger. Next time we travel, they'll be old enough to walk on their own and may consider getting a harness for the middle one. The baby will be on the wheelie in her car seat.
ETA2: And my name is Brooke, too! LOL!!!

natysr

I would do 1 backpack carrier for the seat belonging to the oldest child. She should be old enough to walk and maybe carrier her own small childsize backpack of activities.

I would do 1 traveling toddler. This will hook 1 Marathon to a small carry-on. I would make that carry on your only carry-on. Just put tickets IDs & 2 extra diapers in your pockets (suggest cargo pants for your DH).

Then get another small child size backpack for your 3 year old for activities. It will fit perfectly right ontop on the carry-on and should stay in place between the top of the Marathon and the handle of the suitcase.

Then I would get 1 gogo kids or one cheap luggage cart for the baby. The two younger kids can ride in their seats and be wheeled around.

If you are leaving your car at the airport I'd do one of two things:

1. Have DH drop you off with the checked baggage, Marathon on your back and oldest child. then, while he is parking, you can check your bags in. Your dh can wheel the two younger kids to the shuttle. (I've left my son in his seat and picked on the whole thing and he rode on the shuttle that way.

or

2. DH can drop you and the two younger kids off at the curb, then park and take the checked baggage with him on the shuttle.

Either way, you all meet up together.

It is definately doable with the right attitude...think of it as an adventure!

This is what a Marathon looks like hooked up to a small carry-on.
134287356-S.jpg

Jewels

Senior Community Member
It is definately doable with the right attitude...think of it as an adventure!

This is what a Marathon looks like hooked up to a small carry-on.
134287356-S.jpg

What do you have the MA hooked onto on the small carry-on?

I think I would do two like that (MA on small wheeled carry-on) with the older one walking over a go-go kidz so that you have more room to bring things. If you have luggage carts you could put your seats on there and just do backpacks for you and DH to carry but I think it would be easier to just use the small wheeled carry-on so you don't have to carry anything.

MomToEliEm

No advice on traveling through the airport, but wanted to recommend that you bring along the FAA documentation on flying with carseats. I was once flying with my two kids alone (both in carseats) and they were instistant that I would not be able to have both of them in seats (only the seat by the window). I had paid for both seats and I expected to have seats for both of them. After talking to multiple peope, they finally let me have rear facing seat by window, forward facing middle and me in the isle. On my trip home, I had my FAA documentation and using that documentation, I was actually able to sit between the foward facing and rear facing seats since the documentation allows for family units to arrange the seats as needed (rear facing by window though so isle is clear).

With you having 3 kids and only two parents, someone might say that you cannot install one of the seats, but you should be able to do it according to the FAA guidelines.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I would negotiate the airports with a ridesafer travel vest and two sceneras, if it were me :D (I'm a coward, I'll admit it).

:)

natysr

What do you have the MA hooked onto on the small carry-on?

I think I would do two like that (MA on small wheeled carry-on) with the older one walking over a go-go kidz so that you have more room to bring things. If you have luggage carts you could put your seats on there and just do backpacks for you and DH to carry but I think it would be easier to just use the small wheeled carry-on so you don't have to carry anything.

Oh sorry. That is with the TravelingToddler. They sell it on amazon for $15. IT is a nylon upside down T shaped strap with 1 d-ring at each end. You hook it to the suitcase using the latch and tether. It is actually very sturdy.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Good luck! We'll be taking all 3 seats in Sept too so this is a great question. We're leaving the BV here though and taking the Scenera, the Radian folds, and the SS1 will snap into the stroller. I still haven't decided if we're going to use AJ's seat on the plane or just store it.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Wow I am going to need one of those Travelling Toddler thingys! Sweet. I am flying in 2 weeks by myself with both kids. So I will have 2 kids, 2 carseats and our bags :eek:. We have a luggage cart that the MA fits on nicely, but I was thinking of checking the luggage, putting DD1's MA in the stroller & having her walk or in the stroller, having the baby in the wrap and I have no idea how I will carry her carseat :eek:.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
We went through Frankfurt & Chicago with 3 kids in seats (two Marathons and a Roundabout), plus the maximum number of carryons.

In your situation, I'd use two two-wheeled luggage carts. Put two seats (stacked) on one and one seat on the other. Can your 4 year old handle walking? If not, I'd put her in the single Marathon, and wheel her through the airport. Put the baby in a sling and have your husband put the 3 year old in a backpack. Each of you can wheel one luggage cart. You'll have to experiment with the carry-ons. Either put them on top of the two Marathons or carry them on your shoulder. If your 4 year old can walk, just pile them all on the single Marathon.

MagnificentMama

Senior Community Member
I don't have any technical advice b/c it just seems too complicated and i'm thankin' sweet jesus that I only have one kiddo because I just can't multitask like that!

Do you know if your airports will have luggage carts that you can rent? I know ours does so you can rent it when you arrive and then return it in a corral thingy right outside your gate. I was thinking of just renting one of those, plopping all the car seats and carry ons in there and going to your gate while you or DH unloads and returns the cart so you dont' have to break your back carrying/wheeling around 3 car seats, luggage, and kiddos.

MomToEliEm

Do you know if your airports will have luggage carts that you can rent? I know ours does so you can rent it when you arrive and then return it in a corral thingy right outside your gate. I was thinking of just renting one of those, plopping all the car seats and carry ons in there and going to your gate while you or DH unloads and returns the cart so you dont' have to break your back carrying/wheeling around 3 car seats, luggage, and kiddos.

I am pretty sure they don't allow those Smarte Cartes (the larger carts they rent at the airports) through the security screening area so a personal luggage cart or stroller would be a better option since those can go through security.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I am pretty sure they don't allow those Smarte Cartes (the larger carts they rent at the airports) through the security screening area so a personal luggage cart or stroller would be a better option since those can go through security.

They don't allow them past the security point at any of the airports I've been to. They're more intended for getting your luggage to the check-in point or from the carousel than for carry ons. They figure most people will only have one or two small bags to bring on the plane, which is usually true.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Wow I am going to need one of those Travelling Toddler thingys! Sweet. I am flying in 2 weeks by myself with both kids. So I will have 2 kids, 2 carseats and our bags :eek:. We have a luggage cart that the MA fits on nicely, but I was thinking of checking the luggage, putting DD1's MA in the stroller & having her walk or in the stroller, having the baby in the wrap and I have no idea how I will carry her carseat :eek:.

YOu could actually get a huge carabiner or sewing ring or sling ring and attach the lower anchor and top strap to it...no need to pay 15 bucks for strap since your seat already has it, and you can get a sturdy metal ring for a couple bucks :)

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
YOu could actually get a huge carabiner or sewing ring or sling ring and attach the lower anchor and top strap to it...no need to pay 15 bucks for strap since your seat already has it, and you can get a sturdy metal ring for a couple bucks :)

Thanks for the tip :thumbsup:

BrookeSLP

Here is the tricky part. The airport we are flying into shuttles you on a big bus to the rental car area, about 2 miles away. You have to drag all your luggage/kids/car seats to the shuttle and load up, drive the 2 miles, then unload. Once unloaded, you have to walk dragging stuff and children to the your rental company, then out to the lot to get car.
Sigh. We almost drove, but 24 hours in a car with 3 children gives me hives:)

hsjwmom

Here is the tricky part. The airport we are flying into shuttles you on a big bus to the rental car area, about 2 miles away. You have to drag all your luggage/kids/car seats to the shuttle and load up, drive the 2 miles, then unload. Once unloaded, you have to walk dragging stuff and children to the your rental company, then out to the lot to get car.
Sigh. We almost drove, but 24 hours in a car with 3 children gives me hives:)

The thought of what you are about to attempt is giving ME hives! LOL

Sorry, I have no BTDT advice... but I would definately get a GoGo kids or
two, and wear the baby. If you don't have it already, get wheeled luggage. Our bigger wheeled pieces have straps for attaching smaller pieces. ITA with having your 4 yr old carry her own small backpack. A diaperbag backpack for me was a lifesaver when I traveled with my two. I have a (somewhat huge ;) ) Baby Bjorn backpack diaperbag that has well padded straps and works wonderfully. You wouldn't believe how much junk I could fit in there. My kids are well past that age and I can't bring myself to get rid of it!

I'm hoping when we fly this fall, dd2 will still fit in her MA, so that I can bring our hbTB for dd1. Our other booster is a BG and I don't see how I could pack it since it doesn't come apart.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC