Help me translate my manual

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

Some child seat manufacturers recommend the use a top anchorage (tether) strap in addition to the lap belt. Your vehicle has tether strap anchorages behind the rear seating positions for use with these child seats. Your dealer can provide you with anchorage hardware and installation instructions.

So does that sound like it has them, or do they mean they need to be installed? I think it means that it has the reinforced areas but the actual anchors need to be installed.

It does have cargo hooks (which I think were made to confuse parents and encourage improper tethering).

Cargo tie down hooks are not safe anchors for a child seat tether strap. In a sudden stop or collision a hook could pull loose and allow the child seat to come loose. A child could be badly injured. Use only the anchors provided for child seat tethers.

This makes it sound like there are anchors installed. :confused:

I know, I know...call a dealer :p I just hate how easily the cargo hooks can be mistaken for safe tether anchorages.

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
So does that sound like it has them, or do they mean they need to be installed? I think it means that it has the reinforced areas but the actual anchors need to be installed.

That's how it sounds to me, too - the reinforced areas are there, but the anchors need to be installed.

This makes it sound like there are anchors installed. :confused:

It does sound like that, until you go back up and see where it says the dealer "will provide" you with the hardware and installation instructions. See, they are "provided!" They are "provided" when you ask for them and install them!

That's my interpretation, at least. :D

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
To give the dealer a nudge about parts and retrofitting, according to the LATCH manual, the '96 Grand Cherokee's top tether anchor part number is 04728952AB for the center, and none for the outboard seating positions in the second row. Here's the info. on the cost and corresponding service bulletin to steer the dealership to:

DaimlerChrysler will install tether anchors in certain older model year Chrysler Group vehicles free of charge. Please have the dealer reference Technical Service Bulletin 23-08-00 Rev. A for details on the provisions of this policy.

Hope this helps.

Maggie

No, your vehicle does not have them. They can be installed though. The hooks in the back are the cargo tie downs. I believe there are 4. We have a 96 Grand Cherokee. We had to pull the carpet out to clean spilled milk (YUCK!) and the cargo anchors are definitely not to be used, they were only pop rivited in!

The manual is a bit confusing, but no you don't have them, but they can be installed :) I do believe only one can be installed though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC