SUV cargo area question

ctevans1

We just bought a 2005 Honda CR-V and I have two questions:

One. What can be used, besides a cargo net, to secure any cargo in the back? I know Honda sells a cargo cover but is that enough to keep the cargo out of the cabin in an accident?

Two. Would a pet barrier be secure enough to do the trick? We don't have pets so I don't know what they look like first-hand.

Thanks for any advice.

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
The rolling screen thingy is just a security shade; it does not keep items contained to the cargo area (your groceries will still become projectiles in a crash) -- call your dealer or Honda directly to ask about having a specified barrier installed.... Pressure mounted barriers can become projectiles themselves, sometimes shattering in the process while those designed by the vehicle manufacturer have been crash tested.

ctevans1

Thanks.

I called the Honda dealer and they only offer the security shade and a cargo net that attaches to four anchor points in the cargo area but they said the net is really small and that it while it is sufficient for small items like groceries, it wouldn't be able to contain a stroller or other large items.

It may be a little overkill but I may just buy a couple of ratcheting tie downs. At least I know the stroller won't go anywhere!

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
When I had my Pilot, I used the Honda net (found cheaper online than at the dealer) for groceries and ratcheting tie-downs for my stroller.

chloespurple

Senior Community Member
I have an 03 C-RV & I use those bungee cords to secure my stroller. I asked my local seat tech (who is also an instructor) and she said the way I had it secured was fine.
I would like to buy the cargo net & use that as well, but I refuse to pay what the dealership wants for it & I haven't found them any cheaper online.
Please let me know if you find them for a better price & where.
Michelle

ctevans1

www.accessories-honda.com has it for $27 but I didn't check what the shipping charge was.

Also, I was able to find one on eBay from a Honda dealer for $30 plus $11.00 for shipping. Their listed as "The Honda Store". Their located in Pennsylvania and I'm in California so I imagine if you're closer to them you'll get a better shipping price.

UlrikeDG

It's been several years, so I don't remember the name of the store I got mine from.

I've seen tie-downs identical to mine (which had a ridiculously high weight rating) at my local hardware store. I wouldn't trust bungee cords in this situation.

chloespurple

Senior Community Member
My local dealership charges
$49.00 Without Installation
$63.40 With Installation*

*Am I missing something, why would anyone in their right mind pay extra to have them hook in a net:confused: (they claim warranty reasons:rolleyes: )

www.accessories-honda.com has it for $27 but I didn't check what the shipping charge was.
This seems like the best deal I am checking on shipping charges, thanks for the link.

oxeye

I use ratcheting tie downs attached to the cargo hooks for my stroller and whatever else I happen to have back there at the time. I also keep my car really clean to avoid other projectiles. In DH's car I just throw everything in the trunk! :eek:

UlrikeDG

The net is good for things like groceries. I wouldn't trust bungee cords for a stroller.

southpawboston

It's been several years, so I don't remember the name of the store I got mine from.

I've seen tie-downs identical to mine (which had a ridiculously high weight rating) at my local hardware store. I wouldn't trust bungee cords in this situation.

you can get heavy-duty rachet tie downs from most big stores like walmart, k-mart, target, etc... often in the camping section if not the automotive section

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Yep, we use the heavy duty ratcheting straps for big items -- I've seen them pull a truck out of mud so I'm asuming they'll hold a stroller (perhaps not something extremely heavy, though, but then I'd be using a truck anyway).

tl01

I wonder if the divider I have for my car is strong enough. It attaches to 4 points and divides the backseat and the cargo area in my car. It has a metal rod on the top and bottom and that is how it attaches to the car. It is a mesh net.. it almost seems like it is made of strips of seat belt material. It is a product that comes with the car from Mercedes. I wonder how I can find out if it is safe enough to keep a stroller in the cargo area.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC