News Warning: Loss mentioned Do not put car seats on top of grocery cart

ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I am surprised they didn't have a policy in place for employees not to push carts with babies/children in them. I bet they will make a policy now.

Horrible, horrible, horrible. :(

livsmum

That's so sad.

I really feel for the employee. For all we know, it could've been some 17 year old kid who had NO idea how dangerous the seat being there was. She/he will never forget this.

I cringe every time I see parents placing the seat up there. And especially when the seat isn't even straight.

Kobain's Mommy

The question shouldn't be a policy about employees pushing a cart out (which should be without children in it), but should have huge disclaimers about infant car seats do not belong on the seat part of the cart. Make the parent liable in the case of an accident.

tjham

Aw, poor baby! What a tragic loss.

And that poor employee!

If the parent decides to sue (him, the store, whatever), I hope the store's lawyer brings up the fact that the car seat manual says NOT to put on top of grocery cart. They all do say this now, don't they? And I have seen some carts that say not to put an infant seat on them but not many.

creideamh

I see this EVERY time I go to a store. At least once, usually multiple times. My OnBoard Air said NOT to put it on the top of the cart, FWIW.

I feel so awful for the employee.

bnsnyde

How did the child fall, exactly? Position? Hit head where? Upside down? Not strapped in? Maybe we don't know.

I'm wondering if the carseat offered any protection or didn't?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
How did the child fall, exactly? Position? Hit head where? Upside down? Not strapped in? Maybe we don't know.

The article said the employee went over a speed bump and the infant seat tipped out on the ground with the infant in it.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
How terrible. Stories like this make me so sad because of how often I see seats propped on carts.

Just last week I was shopping the graveyard with dd2, and had forgotten a carrier so she was in the basket in her seat. The bag person put our things in the basket on a new cart and tried to put her on the seat/handle portion. I stopped her and carried dd2 to the car. I don't know that I have ever let an employee push my kids. Just makes me nervous.

¡May contain dyac moments!

Keeanh

My car seat manual says TO put it on top of the cart.

Yep, I saw that in one of my old manuals too. I never did it though. What I thought was really crazy were the carts at Save-On-Foods that had infant seats WELDED to the tops of the carts!!

cupcakepirate11

Carseats actually cause more damage from a short fall because the child is restrained in their seat so they feel the impact more where as if they were to just fall out sans car seat (i hope i didn't say that wrong it is what i read a while ago about it)

Traquy

I used my Britax Companion seat on the metal shopping carts, but the back latches would click into place on the cart, keeping it from coming off unless I pushed the release handles. If it didn't click on I would put the seat in the main compartment of the cart.

littleangelfire

I used my Britax Companion seat on the metal shopping carts, but the back latches would click into place on the cart, keeping it from coming off unless I pushed the release handles. If it didn't click on I would put the seat in the main compartment of the cart.

Even if it latches in, b/c it makes the cart very top heavy, it still poses a risk for injury. Add that to the fact that shopping carts often put an infant seat at an odd angle, either overly upright or too far reclined. Add that to another kid playing on/in/around the cart, the fact that many parents don't see the need to buckle the child in the seat when it's not in the car, and any other little thing and it's a recipe for disaster. And I see it every time I go to the store. Saw a noob in one at Walmart today, incredibly loose, albeit buckled, harness, baby overly upright. Saw one a few weeks ago, lying so reclined the butt was above the head, can't imagine what that does to a baby's tummy.

But I don't say anything b/c I don't see how I could. does anyone else ever say anything? And yes, I know we've had this conversation before.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC