Question Radian 65SL or Radian XT SL?

HeWants4

So I've decided to buy the Radian. :) There is a big price difference between these two seats. I see the main difference being the 65 lb harness limit vs the 80 lb limit. Both of my kids are tall and I expect them to outgrow it in height before weight.
I was thinking of getting the 65SL, but all the posts are moms talking about only wanting the XTSL. Is there another big difference I'm missing?
I'm not trying to be skimpy with safety products, but I'll eventually be buying one, or 2 more Radians, and that's expensive!
Thanks!

ADS

monica-m

CPST Instructor
I have the 65SL for DS. He's skinny so he's unlikely to need more than a 65# harness or more than a 40# rear facing limit (our goal is 4 years). I don't see the use in paying for features that we're not going to need so that made my decision easy.

Pixels

I have both a 65 and an XT. Other than the weight limits, the big difference is the headwings.

lourdes

Since this is a post about the Radiants, have anybody here had any issues with their latch belt been loose my the child? I was doing some research online about this car seat and came across with a video of a 2.5 y/o RF loosing the lower anchor belt

Pixels

Headwings are only available on the XT. They may provide some side impact protection. They do provide sleeping support. Radian allows use with the shoulders above the top slots, but the headwings only go as high as the top slot, effectively making the limit on the XT even with the slots. The headwings go down to the level of the third harness slots, and a child who is using the bottom slots or second slots should have the headwings moved all the way up and out of the way.

moonmommy

Senior Community Member
Since this is a post about the Radiants, have anybody here had any issues with their latch belt been loose my the child? I was doing some research online about this car seat and came across with a video of a 2.5 y/o RF loosing the lower anchor belt

I have had no problems with the LATCH strap on my XTSL in my 2007 Saturn Ion (center install).

Stelvis

That was my video, I think. The company told me to fix it with duct tape, then sent me two more belts that did the exact same thing. There are dozens of NHTSA reports about the same thing. Some due to kids pushing them down, some loosening for no apparent reason. The company has never fixed the issue. If you get one, install it with the seatbelt.

It has to do with the way the tilt lock mechanism hits the belt path when installed in some vehicles or positions. The mechanism sometimes just ends up right at the edge of the belt path, causing the webbing to be at a 90 degree angle, which is precisely how those tilt locks are designed to loosen. No matter how much you tighten it down, it won't stay. The company never admitted that was the problem, they just blamed me for not tightening it enough.

Irishmama

Is it just the XTSL or all SL that has a problem? J/K. Also, was there a problem with the harness loosening? TIA!

Pixels

Is it just the XTSL or all SL that has a problem? J/K. Also, was there a problem with the harness loosening? TIA!

All SL seats.

There seemed to be a run of seats that had harness adjuster levers that would get stuck in the open position. I haven't heard of it recently.

Irishmama

Thanks! Hopefully they fixed it then. I'm debating a 65SL for DH's car, I'm tired of the super tight three across in there. :banginghead:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC