Mazda MPV or Toyota Sienna

MirMom

I have been researching like crazy and reading the threads on here quite a bit. I previously posted about a good minivan for 6-8K. I think I have narrowed down my choices to a Toyota Sienna or a Mazda MPV.

The Toyota's are in the 2001-2002 range with around 105,000-125,000 miles on them.

The Mazda's are around 2003-2004 range and have slightly lower miles. I would probably be able to get one with not much more than 100,000 miles on it or less.

I REALLY like the look of the Mazda, but I am mainly concerned about reliability. I would probably be spending about the same on either vehicle. I still need to go test drive.

What would you do!!???

ADS

Cryssy Jane

We have a 2006 mazda mpv and I hate it for carseats. Not sure of your kiddos but I hate it for carseats. I've finally come up with combinations that work but it's still a pain in the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

livsmum

This is a hard one, solely because high miles scare me - no matter how reliable the car is supposed to be.

I know newer Toyotas are great, but what about the year you're looking at? I'd look at reliability and safety as my main concerns.

MirMom

We have a 2006 mazda mpv and I hate it for carseats. Not sure of your kiddos but I hate it for carseats. I've finally come up with combinations that work but it's still a pain in the rear.

I have an MA forward facing and a MA70 rear facing.

MirMom

This is a hard one, solely because high miles scare me - no matter how reliable the car is supposed to be.

I know newer Toyotas are great, but what about the year you're looking at? I'd look at reliability and safety as my main concerns.

I definitely agree! Although safety is huge for me, I would say that reliability is probably our most important factor!

ethele

I just wanted to say "Thank you" for posting this thread. I'm going through a similar buying decision in a slightly lower price range, and this is one of the things I'm looking at.

ethele

It is stressful isn't it??!

It's quite a process, I just wish I could get it over with. We can't actually buy yet, which is a bit frustrating. To many other things need to get done first. Right now, I'm just trying to figure out the market so I can recognize a good deal when I see one.

Cryssy Jane

MirMom said:
I have an MA forward facing and a MA70 rear facing.

Oh. You wouldn't have any problems in the mpv then :). Tas on the captains chairs and the middle in the 3rd row. The ma70 will fit rf with the front seat all the way back with no issues. Radians rf do not work in the captains chairs (although the new wedge may fix that) and will
Not fit rf in the third row anywhere but center. The ma70 and ma both fit rf in the third row as well :)

erinmi

The only caveat to the Mazda MPV for 2002-2004 model years has to do with the transmission. We have an 03 with just under 100,000 miles and had to get the transmission replaced last year (fortunately we had an extended warranty that covered everything but $100 deductible) because it was slamming itself into gear and jerking the car around. Apparently this is a problem with those model years. Now that it is replaced, the van is great :) So my advice would be to look into whether the transmission has been replaced or not before buying.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC