Another reason to use a bucket

vonfirmath

Everyone always talks about using the infant bucket in cold climates through the winter

But now that I have a newborn, I've realized there is a reason to use the infant bucket in hot climates in the summer as well! Leaving the car seat in the car, the pieces get VERY hot. (Even the plastic)

Yes, this happens on all car seats. But it is particularly hard to keep the pieces away from touching the little tiny newborn babies where the hardware is all Right There. And in the summer you don't have a lot of clothes on them protecting their skin either!

ADS

luckyclov

I live in GA so our summers aren't super pleasant. My window tint usually does a pretty good job at protecting the carseats, but on especially brutal days where the car is parked for a longer period of time, I also throw a fleece blanket over them. Believe it or not, it helps keep the car seats tolerable for when it's time to for kids to load up.

Winter or summer, my youngest hated being stuffed in a bucket, so it was a PITB for us to use - in OR out of the car. :p

monica-m

CPST Instructor
If I remember to put my window shade up and I cover the car seat with a towel it really keeps the temp down. I didn't have any problems this summer when I did that.

vonfirmath

If I remember to put my window shade up and I cover the car seat with a towel it really keeps the temp down. I didn't have any problems this summer when I did that.

Odd. Any idea why that does not work for my steering wheel? Because I've been doing that all summer and my steering wheel still burns my hands when I first touch it after work.

Phineasmama

I am SO glad I got a bucket because my newest one HAtES being taken in and out of the car seat. Once she's in it's okay but when I put her in there it's full on purple faced, arm thrashing screaming fit. Sooo yeah I am really glad I can tote her around in the seat while I do my errands. Especially since I carry/hold her constantly when we're at home.

Oh yeah, and I live in GA and find it pretty unbearable here during the summer. And we are also moving to Wisconsin this week...just in time for winter :p

monica-m

CPST Instructor
:shrug-shoulders:

Have you tried covering the steering wheel? I don't have problems with mine when I use the shade. I don't have tinted windows so I don't get any help there.

Baylor

I loved my buckets. I agree that it does protect baby from the car seat at extreme temps and for me, One time I was walking with the baby in the bucket at about 2 months old. I tripped over a rock and fell the car seat came out of my hands and I fell on top of it kind of.. my son did not even wake up.. If I had been carrying him... Well... I don't want to think about it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC