Vehicle recommendations?

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
My dd recently found out she is expecting another baby! She currently has a 5mo old dd. Her main ride is a Britax BV70 and her spare is a Britax MA65 (classic). She has a KF30 to use for the new baby due in April. But, her bf has 2 sons that he has p/t. An 8yr old in nothing (yeah, I know...) and a HUGE 3.5yr old in a Maestro.

They have one 4dr family car that they will likely keep, but will need to get at one new-to-them vehicle to haul everybody. She does NOT want a van as she is only 21. LOL It will need to be budget friendly too with the payments being as close to $200 as they can get without financing it for 10yrs....

So throw out some options!!!

Thanks!

ADS

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Do they have any money to put towards it? Are they financing or leasing?

That depends on what she can sell her car for and how much is owed on it. They might have a few thousand, but I'm not 100%. She has an '08 Cobalt 2dr. Anyways, they would be financing.

Dillipop

How about a mazda5? Sporty, easy to use with 2 kids full time and semi easy to use with 4 kids part time.

In my area, they are going for between 11K and 18K used, depending on year and mileage.

I just put in numbers into a loan calculator. If you're dd is open to a 6 year loan, she could get a payment of $200 a month with a 12K car with 1K down and rolling the sales tax into it. For a 5 year loan and $200 a month, she could get a 10.5K car with 1K down and rolling taxes into the payment.

NVMBR02

My first thought was also the Mazda5. The only other options I can think of off the top of my head will likely be a few years old with highish miles or minivans.

What is she looking for as far as gas mileage?

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Gas mileage is somewhat of a consideration. They don't drive far for work....about 15mi one way....I'm thinking Tahoe, but don't know if she wants something that big. I have a Suburban and love it. I can't imagine having 4 kids, even p/t without my burb. So my thoughts are pretty onesided. ;) But I know there is a big world out there beyond burbs. LOL

I'll have her look at the Mazda5 and see how that ranks for her.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I'll have her look at the Mazda5 and see how that ranks for her.

Hmmm....just looked at it, and I can hear her already....that's a minivan. EWWWW! LOL Interior looks nice and functional for their needs...just not sure if it's not minivanish enough for her. LOL

Mags462

Well i am no help on lowish payments since there are so many factors..... but pretty much if she is anti minivan/mazda5 her only option is an SUV with a third row of seats. The ones i know of off the top of my head that are not premium lines are:

Chevy Tahoe
Ford Flex
Chevy Traverse
Chrysler Pacifica
Honda Pilot
Mazda CX9

I am sure there are many more but those were the ones i can think of atm :D

beetlemama

If she doesn't need to fit all the kids all the time and doesn't need storage when she has all four, she should look at a Kia Rondo or a Toyota Rav4. Both have optional 3rd row seating. When the third row is up there is pretty much no storage, but both are far sportier and cuter than a mazda 5 (which looks far too minivan like for my taste too) but you can squeeze a few extra people in. Only problem with the rav4 is that she won't be able to get 3 across the middle seat from what I understand, unless one is in a bubble bum and then there's a chance.

Or if she's comfortable with it and likes the look of wagons (my favorite cars are wagons) volvo had V70s with the rear facing back row in the mid-2000s. It seems the rear facing seats are usable for up to 4'9" and 80 lbs, so I'm pretty sure they're scaled for small bodies so boosters aren't needed in the back (I could totally be wrong on that), which is good since they aren't usable on rear facing seats. That is actually the vehicle I hope to find next year (we'll be moving out of NYC and need a second car and I want bigger than my beetle but not an all out mom mobile!).

chay

Note that most of the 3rd row SUVs listed so far and the Rondo don't have top tethers in the 3rd row. Not sure if the Maestro allows no top tether (I'm in Canada so top tethers are ALWAYS mandatory on every seat). She could put one of her RFers back there but then that's moving seats all of the time which would be a big pain. That or she's dealing with 3 across and only the booster rider in the 3rd row.

Seriously though - drive a Mazda 5 before excluding it from the running . Find one with a Manual transmission if she likes that (I have one and the fun of the MT lets me forget that I'm driving a mom-mobile). It handles much more like a small car. She might not like the look of sliding doors but they are AMAZING when dealing with kids. I can't believe how much I love them now that I have them.

beetlemama

Okay, didn't know about the top tether issue in many vehicles (I've been researching a touch, but not a lot yet).

Rav4: She could do the maestro and RF convertible in the second row and the 8 year old and infant in bucket in the third row. When it's just the two kids she could either move the base or use the seatbelt to install the bucket baseless.

Rondo: fairly 3 across friendly, so the three kids in seats in the middle row until the 3.5 year old is booster ready, then move him to the back in a booster.

I totally understand the convenience of sliding doors, but the mazda 5 is just has a look I personally don't like, so I can understand why a 21 year old wouldn't want it. I know they're just people movers, but I care what my car looks like too and I don't like the look of the mazda 5.

livsmum

I think most of these will be out of her price range.

Well i am no help on lowish payments since there are so many factors..... but pretty much if she is anti minivan/mazda5 her only option is an SUV with a third row of seats. The ones i know of off the top of my head that are not premium lines are:

Chevy Tahoe
Ford Flex
Chevy Traverse
Chrysler Pacifica
Honda Pilot
Mazda CX9

I am sure there are many more but those were the ones i can think of atm :D

chay

beetlemama - I totally get that not everyone likes the look of every car. When we started shopping I was really leaning towards the Rav4 but I then I figured out I couldn't legally carry the 4 kids I needed to so that was the end of that one. Add on the fact that my gas price today is the equivalent of $4.89/Gallon (and that's lower than it has been) and well the Mazda 5 kinda grew on me ;) Now I wouldn't trade it for the world. Even DH will take it whenever he can (he drives a 2007 Accord) which looks way nicer but he's been won over by the practicality.

Spam

Mazda5 looks to minivanish to me :eek: I hate the looks of it, I know it's well liked and it's probably a good option for her, myself I see mini-minivan. I actually *want* a minivan now but I'm 28 not 21 lol.

Mazda CX9 can be found used for under 20k
Saturn Outlook is the same as a Traverse, but Saturn is dicontinued so they can be found cheaper/older sometimes
Buick Rendezvous has a third row and is affordable
Dodge Durango also has a third row and isn't suburban large, not the best on gas though.
Honda Pilots have been around for awhile so finding an older one is possible under 15k

oh and the Kia Sorrento now has three rows or if she can find a Kia Borrego.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
You guys are awesome! I'm going to compile a list and give them to her. I already sent her the info on the Mazda5 and I haven't heard if she looked at it yet or not. If she doesn't get one, I may. ;) I love my 4x4 though, so it would be hard to get me to give that up. The fuel savings alone could nearly pay for a brand spanking new one for me! LOL

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC