36 lbs, but not ready for booster--???which seat

U

Unregistered

I am trying to find a good backup carseat for DH's car. My DD is 4 1/2, 37 inches and about 36 lbs. I don't mind getting a carseat now and a good booster later, but it seems that a lot of the carseats are only good up to 40 lbs.
Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

ADS

Starlight

Senior Community Member
It would be a huge help for us if you tell us what seat your little one is currently in, what car you need a seat for, and what her torso height... best way to measure torso height is to have her sit on her tush next to a wall, scooted all the way back, and measure from the floor to the top of her shoulders.

This is important because the carseat is outgrown when the weight limit is met and/or when the shoulders are higher than the highest slot on the seat.

We'll be able to make some good recommendations for you once we have that info!

all together ooky

Depending on her torso height she has some options.
The Apex will harness to 65lbs and has 17 inch top slots. It also turns into a booster (you must have headrests or tall seat back) $90-120
The Britax Marathon/Boulevard/Decathalon will harness to 65 lbs and have 17 inch slots. $209-300
The Sunshine Kids Radian will harness to 65 or 80 lbs (depending on the model you get) and have 18 inch top slots. $170-250
The Britax Regent will harness to 80 lbs and has 21 inch top slots. $269
The Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe will harness to 55lbs and have 17 inch top slots (made by Britax). $129

What seat is she in now?

1girltwinboyz

that sounds just like how little my dd was at 4. She can STILL fit into one of her bro's MAs if need be! So even though it is pricey, she will get prolly 3+ more years of use of a MA. HTH.:)

I wish they made MAs in 2000. I would have bought one for dd instead of the RA. But I have to admit I really got my $s worth out of the RA too as she used it until about 5. Then one of my twins used it until it expired!

ETA: But most kids outgrow the seats by LENGTH before weight. I.e. dd is only 50+ lbs but only has about an inch until she is too tall for the boys MA. I wonder if there are any kids on here that lasted much past 55 lbs in the MA?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC