Radian Loosening

smackeen

Are we still sending info to transport canada about loosening latch straps with radians?

I just got mine two weeks ago (DOM 10/2010) and if you look at it funny, it seems to loosen. Also if bracing (or DH puts seat back too far) it seems to loosen the install too.

Seat is drivers side, second row, 2004 Montana.

Last edited:
ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
You can also try calling them and seeing if they will send you a replacement UAS strap. I believe that there are a few others around here that have been sent one.

I believe overall it's still being considered a compatibility issue, but it never hurts to report it - it's possible that there's a small subset of people who have loosening without it being a compatibility issue but there'd be no way to know that without a lot of investigation...

Can you do a test for me? Hook the UAS that is closest to the adjuster on to the lower anchor. Have the other end of the UAS loose so that you're able to grab hold of the webbing with a decent grip, but tighten the tail enough that there is actually some webbing that could pull through in the event that it still slips. Grasp the main belt itself a little bit above the latchplate, and then pull straight out from the UAS anchor so that there is only a straight line of webbing between your hand and the anchor without any tilts. If it still slips when the webbing and adjuster mechanism are all in a straight line, then you'll know it's the adjuster mechanism. If it's holding tight when you pull straight out like that, then it's more likely a compatibility issue.

smackeen

I will try that after the kids are off to school!

I did email Diono and Patti there automatically is sending out a new strap.

smackeen

Tried that Trudy and it was a lot stiffer when straight out.

So a combination of low profile and angle cause mine to loosen at a feather.

Will new strap they send out have a good chance of doing the same thing?

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Tried that Trudy and it was a lot stiffer when straight out.

So a combination of low profile and angle cause mine to loosen at a feather.

Will new strap they send out have a good chance of doing the same thing?

Hard to say. They've added a little bar to the new straps which is supposed to make them need a larger angle of tilt before the latchplate will slip. It seems to fix the problem in some vehicles but not all. I can't predict how it will work in yours but I'll cross my fingers it does.

smackeen

Thanks for the tip on how to test it though. No big deal if the new one does not work... I will just keep it seatbelted.

winter

I had issues with two of my three radians. One of them, the piece was definitely broken. I could pull on it and it would slip. It could be tight when we left home and be loose when we got to our destination (i did this without kids in the seats). On the other seat, I'd have to tighten it a little every few weeks.

Sunshine kids sent me three replacements. I've only used two replacements as my third is installed with a seat belt. It has been a few months and earlier this week, i went to remove one of the seats and while the strap was still tight, i was able to loosen the strap with two fingers (I couldn't have done that when it was first installed). I don't know if the seat compressed, if the strap is loosening or what. I'm figuring there is an incompatibility with our Grand Caravan. I've now moved that seat to the third row and installed it with a seat belt.

I haven't checked our FF seat. I guess I should go see if that one is still tight.

I wish they would have changed the mechanism completely when they started sending out new straps. I never worry about our Marathon failing.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC