4 kids in a Mazda5-in Canada

AlbertanMom

It's been ages since I posted on here but I'm here for advice to come up with a solution so that I can keep my BELOVED Mazda5!

I have 3 kids now and am pregnant with my 4th, due in March.

DS1 is 6, riding in the 3rd row in a Nautilus booster
DS2 is 5, riding in an AirBooster in 2nd row
DS3 is 3, riding in Radian65 in 2nd row

New baby... I was given an Eddie Bauer infant seat that I can put in the 3rd row but it's SO tight back there, I'm not sure DS1 will be able to buckle himself.

The Radian won't install in the 3rd row (grr), and the AirBooster is not thick enough to accommodate the stupid design of the seatbelt.

So... here are my questions:

1. Can Mazda disable the airbag in the front so I can put the infant seat RF in the front seat? I've seen people put infant seats in the front in cars where the airbag can be disabled. I don't know how safe this is technically, but I would like to think it's fine.

2. Has anyone tried a Monterey in the back of the Mazda5? Is it thick enough? Is there enough room between the two seats to buckle? I could put DS3 in the Nautilus (harness) back there if necessary and move DS1 to the front and get another AirBooster for him.

3. The infant seat I was given is, frankly, enormous. Is there a small infant seat out there that has a smaller footprint, which would allow for DS1 to buckle himself easily in the 3rd row?

And really... those of you with a Mazda5... how much room is left in that car if you are transporting 4 kids? Is it just too much of a pain? I know a stroller won't fit, am wondering about groceries...

I really don't want to get rid of this and go to a minivan. My parents have a 2006 Freestar that they want to sell us, but the carseat situation doesn't look much better in that vehicle, especially since you seem to have to pull the middle seats forward to get to the 3rd row (not captain chairs, it's a bench seat).

Thanks, folks!

ADS

chay

1. I'm pretty sure you can't disable the airbags and put an infant seat RF in any car. Anyone putting an infant seat in the front seat of a car with air bags is risking their child's life. Trucks that don't have rear seats have the feature that you can turn them off with a key for a car seat or really old cars without airbags are your only option for a RFer in the front. Airbags with weight sensors aren't enough.

2. I haven't personally tried a Monterey but here's a picture -
http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=1235051&postcount=9
It is beside a Regent which I think is one of the widest seats ever.

3. I'm trying to picture the Eddie Bauer base and can't for the life of me. I know I've sat beside my SafeSeat and it is higher up so the buckle was easy to get to but I'm not sure how a booster's arm rests would work into that picture.

There isn't a lot of room once you have 4 kids in there. I often transport my 2 and 2 others in my 5 and it is pretty tight. If we're talking picking up a few things then fine but if you're doing a weeks worth for a family of 6 I'm guessing it would be very challenging. I've only done groceries once with all 4 and with all of the chaos we didn't end up getting that much stuff in the end so it fit great ;)

AlbertanMom

Holy cow, how on earth did you get those Marathons buckled back there??

Oh wait... that wasn't you, was it... that was someone else whose pictures you linked to. Never mind. :)

AlbertanMom

Also... has anyone tried two Nautilus's beside each other in the back row, as boosters, or one as a booster and the other with a harness? I wonder if that would fit... it would offer more flexibility in terms of seating arrangement than having a Monterey and a Nautilus.

amyd

No, you cannot have the airbag disabled.

I'd think that 2 Nautis would work in the third row. I've had one in my third row with a My Ride beside it.

There absolutely is room for a stroller behind the third row. I put my Baby Jogger City Mini Double back there all the time. I put groceries back there too but I tend to do small frequent grocery trips. If you do larger ones, it might be difficult.

Hope you find a solution that works so you can keep your 5. I know in your place, I'd be scrambling to keep mine too. I :love: my car.

amyd

Just looked at your OP again. I'd try to find a booster that you could put in the third row beside the Nauti. No way would I be trying to get an infant seat in and out of the third row with all the other positions occupied. With 2 boosters in the third row too, it would be easy to take them out for grocery trips, etc while the big kids are in school.

AlbertanMom

Just looked at your OP again. I'd try to find a booster that you could put in the third row beside the Nauti. No way would I be trying to get an infant seat in and out of the third row with all the other positions occupied. With 2 boosters in the third row too, it would be easy to take them out for grocery trips, etc while the big kids are in school.

When we had our third, I had the infant seat in the back, because I had 2 Radians that wouldn't install in the 3rd row as I had planned. That infant seat was awesome, I was able to just angle it over the back of the seat and fit it into the base. Sadly, it expired, and I got rid of it. I haven't found anything small enough yet, but maybe a Peg Perego... I'll have to test one out.

My preference would be a Nautilus - you're right - it could easily come out for groceries. The question is only whether there is enough room for the kids to buckle themselves back there.

Thanks for the stroller tip! I'll look into that one. Not many fold up small enough.

chay

Holy cow, how on earth did you get those Marathons buckled back there??

Oh wait... that wasn't you, was it... that was someone else whose pictures you linked to. Never mind. :)

That isn't my picture but I've had my Marathons in the 3rd row lots of times (both RF and FF) now that I've learned the tricks they are my favorite ones to install back there. When you say buckled do you mean installed buckled or harness buckled? Installed - one of the tricks is to wedge the head rest into the space in the back of the Marathon (I can walk you through more as well). Buckled - I stand on the side beside the second row seat and reach over (I'm 5'2" - taller people might even be able to reach from the door). The fact that they are higher up actually makes it pretty easy IMHO.

I usually have a harnessed Nauti 3rd row and you would easily be able to have two of them side by side. Not sure how the booster mode spacing would work - all of my kiddos are lightweights (and/or youngens) and can't booster yet.

I had a SafeSeat that I loaded through the hatch a few times. They don't make them anymore but if it worked I would guess a SnugRide 22/32/35 would be worth a shot. I'd rather spend the money on one of them than a Peg that will be outgrown so early. That and I've had a heck of a time installing Pegs in "easy" cars so I'd be a little scared to attempt a Mazda5 3rd row with it but maybe it would surprise.

FWIW I have a Peg Pliko 3 stroller and it folds up really small but I couldn't fit it behind my 3rd row. It would work if I took some wheels off but I'm not sure if that is even possible (or easy) and I don't have it anymore to try. Back when I had it I only had to seat 5 so I put it behind the 1/2 3rd row with the handle behind the seat being used and the wheels had more room. Just figured I'd mention it if you come across it in your shopping.

Good luck!

jewlsvern

I am in the US but I had no problem fitting 4 kids in y Mazda 5. I had DS in a snugride and my DNi in turbo booster next to him. I was still able to put DNe in the seat in front of DS in a booster. I did have to move the 2nd row seat up one click. I also had DD RFing in a EFTA.

I would look at a Graco infant seat or a key fit. I never had any problems getting 2 seats in the 3rd row. I would think for sure an infant seat I mentioned and a Nautilis would fit for sure.

I would put 3rd row infant seat, Nautilis for 5 yr old in harness mode
2nd row Radian and booster for 6 yr old

Or get a turbo booster for the 3rd row for 6 yr old.

tam_shops

Hi, I have a friend w/ a Mazda 5, she has 3 car seats in there all the time, I don't see a problem w/ a 4th, depends on where you put it and which seats...

My d/c lady disabled her air bag. It was a TON of work and took a long time, had to get some letter of permission and take it to the dealership.

She had her Combi snap and go in the back and I'm *pretty* sure my Maclaren Easy Traveller fit. I know my Maclaren double did not fit and my P3 had to have the wheels removed to fit.

There is a limited amount of leg room in that car, especially w/ 4 seats in there.

She always put her SS1 in the very back and lifted it through. NO idea how she did that I'd have needed a step stool! LOL

She keeps a booster seat in the middle b/c then she can fold the seat down and move it (easily).

Her DD is in the very back and buckles her self in/out.

Then, once we went w/ them for a day trip:
Driver: Passenger
middle
FF MA (bad idea not enough leg room): Frontier
SS1: Nautilus

I think it'd have been better
booster: Frontier
SS1: RN RF

or

RF RN: Frontier
Nautilus: SS1

tam

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC