Safeseat Question

jennsmile

My friend who is as picky about carseats as I am passed me her Safeseat to use with my newborn due next Feb.(no wrecks, straps never washed in machine ect.) She has lost one of the canopy's and I was wondering if I could sew a replacement canopy.

Not the cover, I know that is a no go. Just the canopy.

Any thoughts.

Also any way to purchase harness covers as her model didn't come with them.
Thanks.
Jennifer

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Graco makes generic strap covers that they approve with their seats.

As for the sun shade, I'm sure you probably could find one off another seat, or from swap, or from Graco. I don't think that sewing one would compromise the safety but I'm lazy :eek: Our Safeseat (that we got from my SIL, who we trust) didn't have a canopy either, and we didn't miss it, but we live in Alaska where bright sun is rarely and issue :p and we rarely took the seat out of the car.

xursusmaritimusx

im gonna go with a no on that.... cos car seat covers/canopy's are flame resistant and a home made one wouldnt be? someone else probably has more input....

you can try ordering a replacement from graco if they still have them in that pattern or find a pattern thats close? what ss1 pattern is it??

same with some strap covers... they sell them and you can order them through them over the phone or online

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I wouldn't have a huge issue with a homemade canopy. The biggest problem with homemade covers is that they add bulk or don't allow the harness slots to properly align. That's not an issue with the canopy.

As for flame-retardency, a blanket or your kids' clothes probably aren't flame-retardant either. I personally would prefer not to have the flame retardency at all, so that wouldn't stop me.

jennsmile

Thanks for the replies.

It is black and silver, no idea on the pattern name. It came with two covers and one had the canopy a brown and green one.

We live in TX so lots of sun.

Last baby I used the radian so I always left it in the car. Probably it will be left in the car but even just to shade it more in the hot sun or while we are driving.

Again thanks for the ideas and thoughts.

Kobain's Mommy

I was told no on the harness covers. I've got a SS1 and a SR32. I asked if I could use the SR32's harnesss covers on the SS1 and was told no.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
Yes, I'd sew my own canopy. Heck, make it super cute, either boy or girl, whatever you need. Who cares what the seat looks like, the baby is going to cover most of that up anyway but a super cute canopy! I'm SO tempted to make one for my next baby.
The strap covers, call graco. They may okay it, maybe not. Honestly, I found they got in the way on my SS1 and my new SR35 didn't come with them.

tam_shops

I ordered a canopy for my SS1 and I'm super cheap so wouldn't have done it if it were more than $20, not worth buying the fabric at that price point. Though, I think the plastic things were like $5 each. And, I think you need 4. I might even have some, though that makes no sense so not sure why I would! Oh, maybe I sold the cover and not the plastic things, I'm confused now...

As for the harness covers, I'd just pick so me off the SR 35 that match and order those saying nothing about a SS1, if you order a canopy off a SR cover, they won't even know...Though, is THAT aloud? I get Graco would say not, but would do the techs say? I found you really needed them w/ the SS1.

tam

vonfirmath

Thanks for the replies.

It is black and silver, no idea on the pattern name. It came with two covers and one had the canopy a brown and green one.

Onyx?

I've got a Black and Silver Safeseat for my DD (used to be DS's) and I want to say the pattern is called Onyx.

jennsmile

Well Graco was a no go on the cover or canopy. They offered me $10 if I bought a new seat but they have no covers for the Safeseat1.

I have figured out the black pattern was Ionic. I will just have to make my own canopy.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Check here on Swap! You likely can get a canopy that will go, or even a whole cover for cheap!

(And the SS1, SR32 and SR35 covers/canopies/harness covers are interchangeable).

I had a SS1, and sold that cover, then bought a SR32 cover to use... I sold the whole seat with the 32 cover on it!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC