Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

AAP press release for Child Passenger Safety Week

Is it just me, or does this make it sound like the new recommendations are to FF every child at age 2? I know this is not the actual policy but the second bullet point makes it sound like it is.

http://www.aap.org/advocacy/ncpsw.htm

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: AAP press release for Child Passenger Safety Week

I know there was a thread a few days ago talking about this, and yes it does look like they recommend all 2+ year olds to FF. I wish they worded this differently, but I'll be glad if the majority of parents start listening to this and at least RF their kids until their 2nd birthday!

I prefer sharing the NHTSA recs.

The godkids are growing!
    J 9/09 and J&A 1/15

The actual AAP policy IS to FF all children who are at least 2 years old (absent special needs).
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

CPS Fanatic

Sorry, I guess I missed the thread from a few days ago. I thought the actual policy was to rear-face to the limits of the seat, with 2 as a minimum?

The actual policy is to RF until age 2 or the limits of the convertible seat, whichever comes first. They don't want parents to continue RFing in a seat beyond its limits, so they include the bit about to the limits. But really, even in the smallest convertible seats, 99% or more of kids will still fit RFing at 2yo.

CPS Fanatic

There is a big article about carseats on the front page of the Daily Herald.

If they had only included a pic or mentioned RF beyond age 2... Heck, take a picture of my kids! They could have explained that you don't just FF at 2.
    If I were reading the article, I would go and turn my 2-year-old FF after reading what they wrote!

I don't get it. They don't want parents going over the limits of the seat, but 99% of seats will fit and RF past 2...sounds like there needs to be a rework of the wording or more info added. Otherwise, it's a disservice to parents.

I think the AAP is down the road from me in my town. Kind of cool.
    Seatbelt and 59" (9 YO)
    Harmony Youth (8 YO)/Clek Olli (6YO)
    Harmony Dreamtime (5 YO)
    Clek Fllo (3 YO, RF)/Graco 40 (15 months)
    + 2 Recaro Performance boosters in spare car

CPS Fanatic
    I just realized now that NHTSA words it differently than AAP. I guess that's why I was confused.

The reason the AAP policy says to FF at 2yo is because we don't have any evidence in the US that RFing past 2yo is safer. There aren't enough kids RFing past 2yo and getting in crashes to make a big enough sample to study, at least not yet.

The NHTSA says to keep kids RFing until age 4yo or the limits of the seat.

I noticed this earlier today when I went to link it to a blog post.

CPS Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixels
    The reason the AAP policy says to FF at 2yo is because we don't have any evidence in the US that RFing past 2yo is safer. There aren't enough kids RFing past 2yo and getting in crashes to make a big enough sample to study, at least not yet.

The NHTSA says to keep kids RFing until age 4yo or the limits of the seat.
    Right, I just think it's odd because there's also no evidence that FF is safer at 24 months, but the laws of physics would suggest that RF would still be safer. Hopefully there are more studies underway now looking at the benefits of RF til 3 or whatever.

Well, my pediatrician thinks the law should change to require rear-facing to age FOUR. So at least not all pediatricians follow AAP.

I also prefer NHTSA's recommendations. and NHTSA is the group that provides the training materials for CPSTs, so that's what I go by.
    Mom to 2 adults and 2 little kids.
    Tall 8 year old in Incognito; Petite 3 year old RF in CA65

The european study which found rfing through age 4 to be safest used data from the US and Sweden. Of course, the US data was for the ffing children and the Sweden data was for rfing. You'd think that the laws of physics would be the same whether in Sweden or in the US or Canada.
    Christine *mom* to

Dd1 age 17 (seatbelt), Dd2 age 15 (seatbelt), Ds1 age 14 (seatbelt), Dd4 age 12 (Seatbelt), Ds2 age 10 (Probooster), Dd4 age 7 (rstv), and dd5 age 1 (rfing Pria)

The laws of physics are the same, but other factors are not. Different vehicle fleets, different drivers, different roads all contribute.

JFTR, I do believe that kids, all kids, are safer RFing in a properly used seat than FFing. We just don't have the numbers to prove it in the US, and the AAP is looking for evidence to back up their recommendation.

I also think that the jump from the old 1&20 to the new 2yo is a much easier pill to swallow for parents than going from 1 to 4 years. Most parents would just say that's crazy and turn at 1&20 anyway, since that's legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixels View Post
    I also think that the jump from the old 1&20 to the new 2yo is a much easier pill to swallow for parents than going from 1 to 4 years. Most parents would just say that's crazy and turn at 1&20 anyway, since that's legal.
    Sure, rfing to age 2 is easier, but I don't agree with saying kids 2 and up must be ffing. I like age 2 as the minimum, but after that kids can be either ffing or rfing. The "must" part makes parents believe it would be unsafe for a child to remain rfing past age 2. Currently, we have issues because a lot of parents are under the impression that children must ride ffing past age 1 because it would be unsafe to rf any longer.
    Christine *mom* to

Dd1 age 17 (seatbelt), Dd2 age 15 (seatbelt), Ds1 age 14 (seatbelt), Dd4 age 12 (Seatbelt), Ds2 age 10 (Probooster), Dd4 age 7 (rstv), and dd5 age 1 (rfing Pria)

CPS Fanatic
    Yes, it's the "must" part that got to me. I agree with baby steps and getting people used to the idea of 2, but must turn at 2 is the part that bothered me.