Boy sues parents for improper car seat installation

ADS

ThreeBeans

It sounds like it's a technicality. He's 9 and has severe brain damage. The parents are supporting his 'lawsuit' against them to force the insurance to pay the medical claim.

crunchierthanthou

Here's a direct link. .

The boy and his grandmother sued the parents because they had to be named in order to sue their insurance company. I think it's a bit of a loophole and I'm not sure how I feel about it. It's a sad situation all around. It seems exploitive since they were using the seat improperly, but I understand the need to pay for his care.

amyg530

i only skimmed the article but it looked like the reason they had to do it was b/c the insurance company of the guy who hit them wouldnt pay. so i guess if that was the case then i can understand why they had to do it. but at the same time, if they has bodily whatever on their policy then their insurance should have payed anyway, at least thats my understanding of insurance. you pay them every month so that they pay if something happens. right?

Bryana'sMomma

I live in MN and read that the other day and it seemed weird at first and then it hit me.... I can't imagine being sued if that happened to my daughter because I lacked the knowledge to properly install her seat. I've always tried to be a perfect parent and do everything right but I will admidt I had her infant seat installed wrong for probaly months before I learned what a locking clip was. I read the manual and tried but just didn't have the carseat knowledge I have now. I just think people are sue happy these days. Yes the parents were negligent on installing that boys seat properly but really maybe they didn't know any better, atleast he was in a seat and they tried. A lesson maybe other's who read that article will take and go check their own kids seats.

CandCfam

i only skimmed the article but it looked like the reason they had to do it was b/c the insurance company of the guy who hit them wouldnt pay. so i guess if that was the case then i can understand why they had to do it. but at the same time, if they has bodily whatever on their policy then their insurance should have payed anyway, at least thats my understanding of insurance. you pay them every month so that they pay if something happens. right?

The 2nd link in the OP stated that the person who side-swiped this family's vehicle was uninsured.

What crunchierthanthou said in her post is the reason why he had to 'sue' his parents.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Suing his parents was his parents' idea (or their attorney's anyway). He has their blessing. It's not to blame them; it's to get the insurance company to pay.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC