Question $900 in new car seats or a new car?

HeWants4

I'm in a bind, stressed and confused. We are in the process of taking in a foster child. She is a relative and se are already raising her biological sister.

We currently have a 3.5 yr old girl who is 41 lbs, a 3 year old boy who is 33 lbs, and the newest addition is 2, and I don't know her size.

I drive a 2007 Toyota Prius. That is the dilemma. I love the car and I really need to save on gas, as I drive far daily for work.

The only carseats. That will fit (at least I hope they'll fit) are the Radian seats. It will be about $900 to buy 3 of these. I think it only makes sense to buy the new models so I don't have to buy boosters in the next few years.

My car has 93,000 miles so it won't last a whole lot longer.

Should I buy the seats now, or just get a different car? We are also not financially in a position to really do either, which is the lessor of two evils? :)

If anyone has had a similar dilemma, is be grateful for advice.
Thanks!

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
The new radian is outgrown harness and booster about the same time. Have you checked the three across thread yet? What seats do you have now?

If I was going to get radians, I would get the old ones. It would cost you about half.

HeWants4

I haven't checked. I've measured and I have 51.6 inches across. All three seats would be 51.

I thought the new Diono brand radian went turned into boosters after harnessing. Correct me if I'm wrong. :)

creideamh

No advice, for those ages I'd get the old Radians, but I just wanted to say my old '05 Prius (my bro drives now) has 180K miles and still going strong, and my '06 is at 85K and still great. :)

ETA- they are, but the headrest from what I understand doesn't move up higher past the highest part for the harness, if that makes sense, and it has a 50lb weight minimum to use as a booster.

ETA2- sorry I explained that badly. The tops of the ears can't be higher than the top of the car seat shell, so the booster part will be virtually useless after the harness is outgrown. Someone else can word it better!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
With a 50 pound minimum for booster use, I'd not get the new Radians, as I don't know how well that'll work for you. The 3.5 year old would probably be ok, but the 3 year old may not be 50 pounds for many many many more years yet.

How about three Radian 65s and save some money?

Wendy

Jessica61624

Even if they do work as boosters they will be outgrown before your children are ready for an adult seat belt. You'll eventually need a dedicated booster.

crunchierthanthou

It will be about $900 to buy 3 of these. I think it only makes sense to buy the new models so I don't have to buy boosters in the next few years.

I disagree. It seems that the Diono Radians won't make all that tall of boosters and might not get them to seatbelt age/size anyway. Plus, they have the 50 lb minimum and no one has seen the belt fit on them. I think it makes more sense to go for bargains on the SKJP Radians (the 65SLs have been hovering around $175 on Amazon), and then spend $50-100 on dedicated boosters 3-5 years from now as the kids outgrow the Radians. :twocents:

tam_shops

Unless you are Canadian, you can get Radians for far less than $300/seat. So, much less that there is no point in waiting on the new ones b/c buying $50 turbo boosters (or the small/narrow one from Walmart) won't cost you enough to bother!

45# RF and 80#FF
40# RF and 65#FF

And, that's just Walmart, I see people writing they got far better deals than that all the time, but I'm Canadian and our seats are $300/each, so I try to ignore it! LOL

As for the fit, I (currently) have a friend w/ a Prius and she had 2 FF RN and an old Peg bucket in hers. Then, I know she bought a SKJP booster (pain to install w/ 3 across) and assume she put it in the Prius but don't quote me on that! LOL

Either way w/ 2 FF and 1 RF or the opposite, I suspect it'll fit for under $600 and that's with out shopping around too much! Just saved you $300, unless you're from Canada and then I've annoyed you, but you'd be used to the Canadian prices! LOL

HeWants4

Thanks so much for all of the advice. I don't know ANYTHING about boosters, so I appreciate all of your comments. We hadn't planned on our family growing so quickly! ;-)

HeWants4

They are both FF. I was planning in putting the 2 year old FF as well, but I could put her RF for a while. I was concerned if 3 would fit FF for the future also. I'm tall and have the seats the Prius all the way back. RF is hard in this car.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I would keep a Marathon and get two Radians. That combo takes up less room than three Radians all facing the same direction, as the Marathon overlaps the Radians perfectly.

HeWants4

An Aurora said:
I would keep a Marathon and get two Radians. That combo takes up less room than three Radians all facing the same direction, as the Marathon overlaps the Radians perfectly.

Thanks. I'll try this. I have to buy the Radian's online. I can't find them anywhere in town.

cupcakepirate11

I agree with what Aurora said keep the marathon and get two radians.

Toyotas are known to last forever! I would not think that your car is going to die soon especially since it has less than 100k on it. Mine finally died with 260,000+ miles on it. My current car has 130K and purring like a kitten.

I know that is not car seat related but I hope it helps to hear that heh :)

also I don't know if you watch the Office where Andy sneaks up on Dwight in his prius. Hillarious.

agurlsride

I agree with the PPs, keep the MA, get two old style Radians (XTSL)
AND being that your car is a Toyota, at 93,000 I can guess you'll get another another 100k mi from it (if not more). My mother's Camry is a 1993 with almost 170k miles and still going strong. There's not sense in buying another car at this point.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The good news is that the sum total of the width of car seats doesn't tell the whole story. Sometimes seats "puzzle" together. I think you could probably make just one Radian, your Marathon, and a Scenera work, though of course it would depend on having the right configuration. And using all seatbelt installs will give you more room to work with, too. Good luck!

emandbri

93,000 miles is nothing for a toyota! lol Our old 92 camry had 160,000 miles on it when we traded it in and only because we needed a van. I think 1998 sienna had 118,000 miles on it when we traded it in. Brian's 2000 has I think 120,000 miles on it now and going strong.

HeWants4

Thanks so much for all of the advice. I'm finally starting to calm down about everything! I'll buy one radian now and see if I can make it work. :)

Brianna

My car has 93,000 miles so it won't last a whole lot longer.

I just wanted to say that my step-mom has an 05 Prius with almost 160,000 miles on it and she hasn't needed any major repairs :thumbsup: Yours might last a lot longer than you think!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC