Question Is tethering as important with a lap/shoulder belt install

mlohry

Installed our Scenera FF in our Ody in a captains chair. I can get a completely rock solid install with the lap/shoulder belt. Tethering it does not change how tight it is in. The reason I am asking is that I will be transporting my friend's DD in the Scenera one day a week. That seat is crazy easy to install with the lap/shoulder belt, but tethering it is a little bit trickier and it will be in and out a couple times in the day to accommodate different kids in that captains chair.

I can see why tethering is really important with a latch or lap belt install, but the shoulder belt really makes that seat wedged when installed. I can tether it if recommended, but if it's not necessary I will skip that step. Trust me if I was keeping that seat in that chair long term I would tether it, but since it's temporary, I wanted to ask.

ADS

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
No matter the installation, tethering always reduces head excursion. I would/do always use a tether when there is one available.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Just curious... would she fit rear facing? That would answer the question completely. Most kids that fit FF in a Scenera also fit RF. Just a thought.

But we know that a seat passes testing untethered installed with a lap shoulder belt or a lap belt. So it meets the standards. But we also know that same seat when tethered reduces head excursion by up to 8 inches - that's a LOT of movement.

Personally, unless you're talking about something that's taking 10-15 minutes of extra time... I'd just tether it and spend the extra couple minutes.

mlohry

emma41256 said:
Just curious... would she fit rear facing? That would answer the question completely. Most kids that fit FF in a Scenera also fit RF. Just a thought.

But we know that a seat passes testing untethered installed with a lap shoulder belt or a lap belt. So it meets the standards. But we also know that same seat when tethered reduces head excursion by up to 8 inches - that's a LOT of movement.

Personally, unless you're talking about something that's taking 10-15 minutes of extra time... I'd just tether it and spend the extra couple minutes.

The girl is 32 months. She is only a week older than my DD but a head taller. She has been FF in her Scenera since 12 mos, despite me and the Ped telling mom it wasn't safe :( I can try her in the Scenera RF, but I can pretty much guarantee she won't fit. I actually posted about this situation before and most said it was ok to FF her since she was already and over 2.

I will tether the seat.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Oh yeah she's definitely fine FF at nearly 3, but just saying if she does fit - it's YOUR car, and that would save you the trouble of doing and undoing the tether. Even if mom doesn't RF her, there's no reason she couldn't in your car if it's less hassle (assuming she fits of course).

mlohry

emma41256 said:
Oh yeah she's definitely fine FF at nearly 3, but just saying if she does fit - it's YOUR car, and that would save you the trouble of doing and undoing the tether. Even if mom doesn't RF her, there's no reason she couldn't in your car if it's less hassle (assuming she fits of course).

She told me if I wanted to RF her I could, my friend knows it's important to me, but honestly I don't think she would fit! I might try it, just out of curiosity.

WhatAboutPuppy

Maybe it's just me but installing a Scenera RF is way harder than any top tether anchor install. I dread installing it rear facing, it always scratches my hands and always needs a noodle... RF Scenera's make me grumpy.

mlohry

WhatAboutPuppy said:
Maybe it's just me but installing a Scenera RF is way harder than any top tether anchor install. I dread installing it rear facing, it always scratches my hands and always needs a noodle... RF Scenera's make me grumpy.

I agree partially, in some cars it's a PITB, but in this spot, it's super easy to install FF or RF with a lap/shoulder belt. Not so easy with Latch.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor

I usually use a towel and I think it's easier than a noodle because of the sharp base... I just accept right away that I'm GOING to need a towel and it's usually pretty easy! I put mine in friend's cars pretty often though because I hate moving my Radian lol.

mlohry

lovemybabies924 said:
top tethering in my oddy captains chair takes maybe 20 seconds..

I need to learn to tether 1st then install with the seat belt. Then I can pull the seat way forward, hook the tether and then push the seat back and install. Today I had to climb into the van to get it hooked, because I had installed and couldn't move the chair then.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Scenera doesn't have a tall belt path, so tethering does make a big difference. On seats like the Britax seats where the shoulder belt is higher in the belt path than the lap belt is, the shoulder belt does perform a somewhat tether-ish job in holding the top of the seat. It still doesn't replace tethering, though.

lourdes

My DD is 3.5 y/o and she still fits in a Scenera RF, she is 27 pound and 37 inches long.

Last edited:

mlohry

lourdes said:
My DD is 3.5 y/o and she still fits in a Scenera RF, she is 27 pound and 37 inches long.

This girl is well over 30 lbs, I am not sure on her height, but she is tall. Let's say this, my friend also has a son that is 2.5 years younger than my middle child and he is taller than my son. My DD is short, but my boys' are very average height. I am going to try her RF, but I am also ok with her age FF if that works better. I know my DD will fit in the Scenera to 4, she has a lot of room and a short torso.

armywife12

Always tether when available :) FWIW, I just saw your other post and, from the first pic, it appears that she would fit rf as far as height goes.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC