Vent Impatiently waiting on Dorel (CA Recline Issue)

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Has there been any word yet on exactly what changes Dorel is (or isn't) going to make to the recline angle instructions on the Complete Air? And whether they'll be retroactive for current seats? Or exactly when they're going to make the changes? I know it's still only September, and they said October, right? But the Halloween (and Christmas) stuff is out in the stores already, so I feel like I shouldn't have to wait. LOL!

If they're not retroactive, do you think they'll swap out a "new" Complete Air for mine, which has to recline to 53 degrees to get the line level to the ground?

I have mine installed at 43 degrees, the absolutely most it can recline while keeping the front Suburban seat in a safe (but not comfortable) position. And even then, when the baby's weight is in the seat it reclines a little more (to about 44-45) and touches the head rest in front of it. So I have to choose between further disregarding their angle instructions or disregarding the instructions not to let it touch the seat in front of it. I kinda have it halfway between by installing it at 43-45 and have it not touching when empty and lightly touching when occupied.

But I'm not happy with this solution. I just want to sit it up more and be done with it. 35-40 degrees would be fine.

ADS

Jessica61624

If I was going to disreguard anything in the manual I'd choose the angle. It was stated it passed testing mote upright. I wouldn't be ok bracing or even touching the CA.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
You're probably right. I just hate looking at that "level to the ground" line and it's already at a 10 degree angle from the ground as it is. It bugs the heck out of me that I literally cannot follow the instructions in the manual. Even if I were to forego the passenger seat in the Suburban entirely, in order to get the line level to the ground the seat would have to be SO far forward it would actually block my vision when driving and that wouldn't be safe either. Not to mention the fact that I'm extremely uncomfortable with the safety of having a RF seat laying back further than 45 degrees in the first place.

Maybe I'll go out and play with the seat some more this afternoon and put it more upright. We don't drive the Suburban that often; usually she's in a Radian in the Civic. I just really can't wait for Dorel to come out with an official statement besides "We cannot recommend that you use this car seat rear facing if you can't get the line level to the ground in your vehicle." :thumbsdown:

NannyMom

I am 99% sure it will NOT be retroactive. And I would bet they aren't going to change it for the Complete Air. I think they are going to change it for new seats they have coming out. Like the pria, how it has the infant insert that makes that portion 45*, but the rest of the seat is more upright without the insert.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I hope you're wrong, but you're probably right. I've certainly heard rumors about the CA specifically and changing the rules. Hope springs eternal.

creideamh

This makes me so sad. I REALLY like my CA and if the angle thing not being retroactive is true, I'm going to have to make a hard decision whether to disregard or sell. :(

Brigala

CPST Instructor
IF:
- They change the Recline rules for the CA
and
- They don't make it Retroactive

I intend to call them and bug them until they replace my CA with one that I can actually install in my car while still following their installation rules.

I still feel a line that puts the seat at a 53 degree angle is defective.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC