More advice needed

momtoo3

I NEED to turn ds3's MA70 FF. He screams in pain about his legs cramping (I had another thread about this.)
My question is... Is an accident more likely to happen close to home in a suburban area or on an out of town trip that would usually involve towing a camper, some back roads, some highways and some expressways?
He has a TFP in our truck that we mainly use for towing our camper and is ERF in that without complaining (yet.) We camp pretty often. I MIGHT be able to get the TFP in my van RF with all the other seats I need in there instead of his MA70. This would have me putting the MA70 in the truck FF. I don't know which is the better situation. FF MA70 in my van, which is used daily or FF MA70 in our truck which is used for trips on many weekends. Switching the RF TFP back and forth is not going to happen. Getting it into my van is a PITA with needing 3 across and I am not going to go there. SO.... which scenerio is better?

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
How old is your son?

Are you planning on continuing to use the True Fit RFing? That seat generally allows more leg room than Britax.

As for your question, crashes are more likely to occur on surface streets vs freeways/highways. Stoplights, intersections, other distractions (checking out houses, shopping centers, etc.) make crashes more likely than on freeways where you pretty much go straight and where people are paying more attention to DRIVING.

However, I'm always extra-nervous when we're towing just because that adds another element. What kind of backroads are you talking? Mountainous? Flat, dirt? Windy? Straight?

Last edited:

momtoo3

How old is your son?

Are you planning on continuing to use the True Fit RFing? That seat generally allows more leg room than Britax.

As for your question, crashes are more likely to occur on surface streets vs freeways/highways. Stoplights, intersections, other distractions (checking out houses, shopping centers, etc.) make crashes more likely than on freeways where you pretty much go straight and where people are paying more attention to DRIVING.

However, I'm always extra-nervous when we're towing just because that adds another element. What kind of backroads are you talking? Mountainous? Flat, dirt? Windy? Straight?

Ds3 turned 3 today.
When towing our camper we take a lot of country roads. Some are dirt, some straight, some curvy, no mountainous. Most are just regular backroads that are paved with no posted speed limit, so 55 mph. It really depends on where we are going.
Towing makes me super nervous which is why my initial thought is to keep him RF in our truck but I have read that most accidents happen within 20 miles from home. We will be camping the next 2 weekends and then taking the camper for storage the weekend after that. Is it mean to make ds3 stay RF in the MA70 in my van for 3 more weeks until we are done camping and then move the TFP to my van? It is a total PITA to get it 3 across with the TFP in there and I am not going to do it each time for 3 weeks. I also don't want to FF him in the MA70 now and then flip him back. He doesn't like RF and will not flip back without WWIII. I still want him RF, at least for the winter, but hate the thought of him being in pain for the next few weeks. Why does this have to be so hard?!

Safeinthecar- I would totally sell the MA70 and get another TFP but it doesn't fit 3 across FF in my van and the MA70 most likely will (I'm thinking it will by looking at it but need to try it tomorrow, it rained all day today.) Since he is now 3, just under 30 pounds, and gaining quickly I don't really want to buy another 35 pound RF seat that will only work RF for him.

ElfJewel

Have you tried the MA RF in the truck? I wonder if different different install would affect how his legs feel? Otherwise if getting another TFP isn't an option I would probably RF in the van and FF in the truck.

momtoo3

After researching last night, I really wish the Kiddy Shield Boosters were out already. It sounds perfect for ds3.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC