She just keeps growing and growing!

Morganthe

And we are officially out of the running to try out the new Recaro. :( :shrug-shoulders:
For the past four days, dd has been eating like a small horse & pudging up slightly despite her constant racing around. Yesterday pm, she was playing with the scale and she was 38.5lbs at 6pm. This morning, just to recheck, I had her on the scale: 37.5 lbs and SKINNY! She's now exactly at 41" instead of an 1/8" below.
I think her legs are slightly longer, but she is now exactly at the belt path of the Maxi-cosi. I double checked the manual and the weight limit is 18kgs = 39.7lbs. So she's really close since they say "Between", not "To" regarding the limits..

I tested out the Recaro Start. Very nice seat in my car, but dd just is not mature enough for a booster, no matter how perfectly it fits her. When it was time for us to 'pretend' to stop, she'd pull out her arm from behind the snug 3pt and use it to try to unhook herself. I really don't need that going down the road.

So she's asking about the "Harness seat w. Flowers". I'm supposed to drive right now and get one :rolleyes: Any suggestions on where to order a Madison for a decent price, decent service, and free shipping?

In the meantime, I'm putting the M-C in dh's car for the rare trip and using the Radian in the Camry. I feel better already even though dh isn't too thrilled.

I'd like to use the Start in the future, but money's tight for funds. I'm looking at getting her a bigger bed AND a bigger car seat within the next 6 weeks. Ouch! So I'm probably going to list it for sale either on Craig's list or Ebay.

I really wish my dd had remained petite and small or at least in the 'average' category, not get so tallish. It would be so much easier on the pocket book :( She's outgrown most of her 4s and is wearing 5-6s. They fit in length, but you could add another child in there. She's also began her summer foot growth and has already jumped to a size 9.5-10 this past month from about an 8-8.5 in April.

Okay -- end of moan. Now I need to see what I can sell to help the budget :p

ADS

arly1983

Jackson has just grown some too...He is now 40.5 ins and 37 lbs and hopefully done for a while....thank goodness, no change in torso height...

I bought my regent here They have the madison in stock...I talked to them several times and the CS was always good...

Good Luck!

ETA: I just noticed her shoe size, thats his too, He is now in a 9.5 W or 10 W

Last edited:

Yoshi

Yeah, I hear you on the growth!!! DD is now 38 lbs on our digital scale, 40.5" and she is wearing size 5-6. Her shoe size is 10.5. I had to buy all new shirts for summer because her tummy was peeking out of last year's.:rolleyes:

Please, please tell me how do you install your Radian in the Camry? In the center? Do you use the recline thingy? Do you twist the seatbelt stalk???? Pictures would help, but just the basics may help me too. I always end up with a little more play in it at the beltpath than I'd hope for. thanks!

Morganthe

Please, please tell me how do you install your Radian in the Camry? In the center? Do you use the recline thingy? Do you twist the seatbelt stalk???? Pictures would help, but just the basics may help me too. I always end up with a little more play in it at the beltpath than I'd hope for. thanks!

I'll get photos up as soon as I can if you like. I haven't taken any of this semi-permanent installation. The photo in the sig was just from playing around with it before dh came home from a weekend event with his back seat down for SCA gear.

TBH, the hookup is not pretty, but the seat is installed correctly and TIGHT! I just went out and checked it again to see if loosened up at all. All I had to do unbuckle, pull a bit on the lap part up and get the car's belt locked another notch tighter, then rock the buckle closed. If I push very very hard, I can get a bit of motion sideways, (The car moves) but it's nowhere near an inch and definitely none towards the front.

I understand that techs recommend no more than 3 turns of the belt stalk. I ended up with 3.5 because the cloth stalk is extremely long under the back seat. The first twist is basically useless. I think it was more to get the belt the correct direction than anything else. But I"m not sure. I put my hand down through the crevase and still couldn't reach the bolt before the opening was too small for the rest of my arm.

The Radian's seat bottom is out in the 'recline' position. I find it takes up a little more of the slack than if it's pushed in. It's also in the center position. It has lots of legroom. I see her best in her little mirror up on the passenger visor. DD likes to rest her feet on the center consule, and neither dh, nor I like the occasional kick in our backs. (He's had back surgery and I have back spasms -- yay :rolleyes: )

Other than that, I just locked the shoulderbelt just before it comes out of the Radian's belt path. Put a knee into an inside corner & rocked it into the buckle. It's kind of like getting a manual transmission car unstuck from snow or ice. :shrug-shoulders: I'm not saying more since, hmmm, :eek: :eek: whatever I write sounds, ummm, hmmm. :eek: :whistle:

Yoshi

:p I'd love to see pictures-'cuz in the Camry for now we have an Apex 65 in there which is ok, but I would prefer a Radian so that adults have more shoulder room sitting alongside her in the center. Thanks!

harnessed4ever

Craigslist!!!! You can truly find some of the best seats on your local craigslist site. You may not be able to get the exact cover you want, but you can order that later. The harness is the most important part. On my local site there have to be 5 huskies and regents all for cheap prices. Plus I found that someone's selling a futura. What a lucky find!!!!!

Morganthe

Thanks for the suggestion, but our Craig's list was only started about 10weeks ago and it's not very big, especially for car seats. Regents are unheard of around these parts :p

Besides, I'd rather get a brand spanking new one with the Madison cover than a used seat with an unacceptable cover for our needs. I have tabs on a location that is slated to have them in stock after the 5th of July. It's not an emergency since the Radian works very well in the Camry. She's harnessed and life is good :)

Tina, I measured just now for shoulder clearance. Outboard on passenger side =16 inches between Radian & the seat crease where it folds down. I tried it out and it was very comfortable to sit there with the door shut. That position is where I usually place passengers anyway since the front can move the seat up closer to the dash if needed and neither one of us as drivers cannot.

Outboard on driver's side = 12 1/2 inches. Much narrower and I wouldn't be able to sit there for any length of time, but a normal sized person might. (I'm not adding in 2-3 inches of padding between the door & the back foldable seats.

I've never tried the Radian outboard, but I really believe that 2 adults could sit in the opposite outboard and the center spot, especially if one is on the petite side.
HTH and I'll have photos up soon to help illustrate my stumbling words. :whistle:

Last edited:

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Craigslist!!!! You can truly find some of the best seats on your local craigslist site. You may not be able to get the exact cover you want, but you can order that later. The harness is the most important part. On my local site there have to be 5 huskies and regents all for cheap prices. Plus I found that someone's selling a futura. What a lucky find!!!!!

It is extremely unsafe and dangerous to purchase a used seat. You do NOT know the history of the seat and are taking a chance with your child's life.

This is not suggested nor endorsed by techs and child passenger safety advocates!

scatterbunny

I think you're on my local CL, harnessed4ever. :p There are/were several Huskies/Regents, and a (my) Futura. ;) But in general, yes, it's a bad idea to buy used seats. You don't know how they were cared for, or if they were in a crash. I only trust to buy used seats from other CPSTs (and as a CPST, I feel fine selling my used seats; I KNOW they were treated properly, and I make sure anyone I sell to knows how to use it properly).

Jewels

Senior Community Member

Although the harness is important it isn't the best idea to buy used carseats especially if you don't know the person. If you don't know the person you are trusting them with your child's life by depending on them for the use and care of the seat. How do you know if the seat has been in an accident? The straps been washed? How the seat has been handled? Really, unless it is a person you can trust with your child's life buying used off of craigslist isn't that great of an idea.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
It is never okay to purchase a seat off of ebay or craigslist UNLESS it meets these requirements:

Do you know the history of the seat?
Yes – continue
No – DESTROY

Does the seat have a label with date of manufacture and model name/number?
Yes – continue
No – DESTROY

Is the seat less than 6 years old? (8 years for Fisher Price seats and the Maxi Cosi Priori)
Yes – continue
No – DESTROY

Does the seat have a label showing that it meets all Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards?
Yes – continue
No – DESTROY

Has the seat been recalled for a safety defect?
Yes – continue to 5b
No – continue to 6

5b
Has the defect been corrected?
Yes – continue to 6
No – do not use until defects are corrected or DESTROY

Has the seat been involved in any vehicle crash (even a minor one)?
Yes - DESTROY
No – continue

Are there any cracks, bends or breaks in the plastic shell?
Yes – DESTROY
No – continue

Has the metal frame rusted, bent or broken?
Yes – DESTROY
No – continue

Do you have a copy of the manufacturer’s instructions?
Yes – continue
No – obtain new instructions and continue or DESTROY

Does the seat have all it’s parts – harness straps, harness clip, seat cover, tether, padding, shield and bolts?
Yes – continue
No – obtain replacements and continue or DESTROY

Are the harness straps worn or frayed?
Yes – Obtain replacements and continue or DESTROY
No – continue

Does the buckle or any other metal part show signs of rust?
Yes – Obtain replacements and continue or DESTROY
No – continue

When buckled, does the mechanism lock securely? Does it remain locked?
Yes – USE SEAT!!!
No – Obtain replacements and continue or DESTROY

http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/UsedSeat.aspx

Morganthe

Is the seat less than 6 years old? (8 years for Fisher Price seats and the Maxi Cosi Priori)
Yes – continue
No – DESTROY
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/UsedSeat.aspx

According to my Maxi-Cosi Priori XP Manual,
"It is recommended that car safety seats not be used longer than 5 years after the date of purchase. The product properties may deteriorate due to ageing of the plastic and/or sunlight, without this being visibly apparent."

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC