what would you say?

Melizerd

So a lady in my playgroup, her son has a broken leg, from daycare, big lawsuit ensuing...But that's a different story.

He's the same age as my son (6months) and the cast is HUGE. She turned him FFing because she says there is no way for him to sit in the seat because of the cast?

Now I don't know how true that is or anything but I've seen the pics the cast really is huge and goes out past his foot and he can't bend his leg.

What would you say/do? He's going to be in a cast a couple weeks at least. Is there a more comfortable solution for him RFing?

ETA: She's avoiding driving as much as possible but she still has doctor appt to get to for him.

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Oh, man!!! This is a REALLY tough one!!

Does the cast go all the way to his hip?

I don't even know if this is possible, but is there any way he can rest his leg on the backseat?

I don't even know if this is possible, but is there a special needs seat (Spelcast???) that she may be able to get a TEMPORARY prescription to rent???

Gosh! This is a really tough one!!!

Melizerd

yeah it's a FULL leg cast and goes all the way up to his hip. I feel like this might be the ONE case where there really isn't a solution :( He can't bend his leg AT ALL.

She's only going to be taking him back and forth to the doctor.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
What kind of vehicle? If the carseat can be installed on a captain's chair, I'd just show her that it can recline + I'd ask her if the doctor mentioned the carseats specifically designed for such special healthcare needs, which can often be covered by insurance with prescription....

Melizerd

It's a sedan not a van. I'm not sure exactly what kind of sedan but it's a 4 door.

I'll ask her about a special needs seat and have her talk to her doctor and insurance company.

griffinmom

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Our program has several Hippos we loan out. I would hope the doctor is aware of this seat for kids in casts, but check with a ped OT or PT tech at the hospital is the doc isn't familiar with the seat.

ThreeBeans

How does it work? Is it like the Swedish seats that are set back from the seat bite and give the cast room to stick out:confused:

I imagine you HAVE to tether it RF otherwise can you imagine what would happen to the kid's leg in an accident and the seat cocoons :eek:

griffinmom

Moderator - CPST Instructor
How does it work? Is it like the Swedish seats that are set back from the seat bite and give the cast room to stick out:confused:

I imagine you HAVE to tether it RF otherwise can you imagine what would happen to the kid's leg in an accident and the seat cocoons :eek:

Check out the link in Papooses post. It is most like a Marathon with very low sides on the seat.

natysr

Can't she just find a different seat that has more depth to it? I have a Combi Victoria sitting in my garage that is at least 4 inches deaper in the seat/theigh area than my marathon and boulevard. So there is much more leg room.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC