Local article re: new VA law!

Came across this article in our local base newspaper: :love:

New age requirement begins July 1 for child booster seats in cars

Virginia Beach- Not only is the summer travel season upon us, so is Virginia's newest state law relating to child seat safety. As of July 1, 2007, children riding in motor vehicles will be required to be properly restrained until they reach eight years of age. Currently, the law requires a child safety seat for children through the age of five.

Additionally, the new law requires rear-facing child seats be placed only in the back seat of a vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a back seat, the device may be placed in the front passenger seat, provided the airbag has been deactivated, or there is no airbag equipment.

Last year in Virginia, 14 infants and toddlers were killed in traffic crashes. Five of them were in child seats that had been improperly installed. Another seven were not secured in any type of child or booster seat, as required by law. The victims ranged in age from four months to five years.

To learn more about the new law and ensure your child is properly secured, the public is invited to attend a free child safety seat check to be held next week in Virginia Beach at the Wal-Mart Supercenter in the Red Mill Commons shopping center on Nimmo Road from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

"Parents, grandparents, babysitters, caregivers - anyone responsible for transporting a child of any age is encouraged to stop by the child safety seat check," said Captain R. Daniel Plott, Virginia State Police Chesapeake Division Commander. "The few minutes it takes to make sure your infant seat, child seat, and/or booster seat is safe and secure can mean the difference between life and death in a crash."

This gave me the perfect reason to discuss booster seats with a couple more of my neighbors, and at least one of them is interested in having me show her some of the boosters on the market for her < 8 child. :thumbsup:

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Awesome, that article did a nice job of conveying the importance of safety seats and I hope lots of folks show up at the seat check clinic.

Glad to hear your neighbor is asking for your advice too. You'll be the go-to person on the block in no time. ;)

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Horray!!

I haven't yet seen an article up here in No.VA, but I will look.

The few people with whom I have spoken have been *shocked* that the law is changing. A few of them (and this frightens me!) thought our current law was 4 years/40 pounds. :eek:

Simplysomething

Last year in Virginia, 14 infants and toddlers were killed in traffic crashes. Five of them were in child seats that had been improperly installed. Another seven were not secured in any type of child or booster seat, as required by law. The victims ranged in age from four months to five years

Awesome article. So, out of 14 KILLED in crashes, TWELVE of them weren't properly restrained. Wow.

Last edited:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Horray!!

I haven't yet seen an article up here in No.VA, but I will look.

The few people with whom I have spoken have been *shocked* that the law is changing. A few of them (and this frightens me!) thought our current law was 4 years/40 pounds. :eek:

And my neighbor just scoffs and says "My DS had better be grandfathered in, he was in a seat till he was 6, now he's 7, and fits JUST FINE in the seatbelt, I wish they wouldn't have all these ages" (To which I reply innocently, yeah, it should just be 4 foot 9 and no age at all... her kid is nowhere near that tall :p).

My slightly better educated neighbors tend toward much longer booster use (one almost-6th grader is still in a turbo, she's TINY, and cool with it), but the 8 will be a nice social factor for those of us with younger kids, anyway.
:)

Simplysomething

Oh, Jools, I know someone else who is talking about being "grandfathered in". There is no "grandfathering" right?

The fact that my ds1, who will be 7 next month, has been legal to ride in just the adult seat belt for a year is ...wow. One of my nieces will be 7 next month as well, and she DOES ride in the adult belt. Guess who was talking about the grandfathered crap?

And they also fixate on weight limit. "No, see, you want them to be this big/mature, before they are in the adult belt. See this list? Those five things? If they do those five things? They can ride in the adult belt. Notice, there is no weight there."

lynsgirl

This gave me the perfect reason to discuss booster seats with a couple more of my neighbors, and at least one of them is interested in having me show her some of the boosters on the market for her < 8 child. :thumbsup:

Which base newspaper? The Flagship? Man, an actual check-up event! I wanna go (as a tech)! Hmmm, need to try to call the coordinator - again. I've never heard back the other times I've called. It'd be nice to actually get to talk to her, instead of her voice-mail.

skaterbabs

And my neighbor just scoffs and says "My DS had better be grandfathered in, he was in a seat till he was 6, now he's 7, and fits JUST FINE in the seatbelt, I wish they wouldn't have all these ages" (To which I reply innocently, yeah, it should just be 4 foot 9 and no age at all... her kid is nowhere near that tall :p).

My slightly better educated neighbors tend toward much longer booster use (one almost-6th grader is still in a turbo, she's TINY, and cool with it), but the 8 will be a nice social factor for those of us with younger kids, anyway.

tee hee hee...my sister :rolleyes: has gotten the idea that the height limit IS the new law - and they're panicing over getting all her younger crew into boosters. (Why I don't know - it's never been legal to double buckle or any of the other things she does:confused: )

I can't link it right now, but our newpaper said the VA law was 8 yo or 4'9"

I was so happy to see that!

Maybe that's where my sister got it. Right or wrong - I won't correct it!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Isn't crazy that people don't fear the laws of physics, but a possible fine from a cop will scare them into action? :doh:

Mama2J

That is great that they improved the law and that they will be having a seat check! Our law here is 8 years old too. I don't remember when exactly our law changed (or what it was before), but I didn't think about it much at the time since I didn't have a booster-age child. I remember people saying that there was no way a child that old would sit in a baby seat!

C

catwoman

I'm not sure what age has to do with it. My son who is 9 weighs less than my daughtar who just turned seven. They are only one inch different in height (my son is taller 4'5). He does not meet the "supposed" safety height of 4'9 inches, but is not required by law to be in a booster seat because he is over 8. If this height is so important, then why have an age requirement. My daughtar who is 96 pounds is about to out grow the booster safety weight of 100 pounds. I know many children who are over 8 and weigh much less than my daughtar! For this reason, I don't think the new law makes much sense!:(

skaterbabs

Isn't crazy that people don't fear the laws of physics, but a possible fine from a cop will scare them into action? :doh:

Tell me about it. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what age has to do with it. My son who is 9 weighs less than my daughtar who just turned seven. They are only one inch different in height (my son is taller 4'5). He does not meet the "supposed" safety height of 4'9 inches, but is not required by law to be in a booster seat because he is over 8. If this height is so important, then why have an age requirement. My daughtar who is 96 pounds is about to out grow the booster safety weight of 100 pounds. I know many children who are over 8 and weigh much less than my daughtar! For this reason, I don't think the new law makes much sense!:(

Both of your children may need to be in boosters. Booster seats lift a child up so the adult seatbelt fits properly, and there ARE boosters your daughter will fit in, it may simply take more effort on your part to find them. Boosters are necessary for your children's safety until they pass the Five Step Test, regardless of how old they are or how much they weigh.

The 5 Step Test

If you answer "No" to any of these questions, your child must be in a booster seat:
1. Does the child sit all the way back against the auto seat?
2. Do the child's knees bend comfortably at the edge of the auto seat?
3. Is the lap belt touching the top of the thighs, not the tummy?
4. Is the shoulder belt centered on the shoulder and chest?
5. Can the child stay seated like this for the whole trip?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
You got it, the law makes NO sense when it's based on age. But laws are written by average people for average constituents... the legsislators don't want to have to make a law that might make people not vote for them! And age is a simple one..kids will tell you how old they are, and the cops don't have to try to measure them. One day they'll figure out that the five step test is really what matters and THAT will be the law, but it's happening in incremental steps as people's understanding increases. I like www.boosterseat.gov, I wish boosters were a nationwide concern and not a state law situation (the nation sets the rules for how cars are made, and since cars are unsafe for kids, the nation needs to remedy that...either by a nationwide booster law, or fixing the laws that allow how cars are made...mandating built in boosters, for example...but that's just my soapbox moment...)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC