Carseat awareness in South Africa

DanielNathan

I am just posting this to get a bit of advise. In our country we do not have much as in carseat laws in our country. This week an entire family(father,mother,baby of a year and toddler of 3) was wiped out, due to no carseats...they had a head on collision with a bus...while the mother, who was driving was breastfeeding the baby. I speak to a friend, who is a nanny, she drives with her not even 2 year old son, in a pick up truck, just in a seatbelt, and her reasoning is he weighs nearly 20kgs...44 pounds. :yeahthatmad:

I dont get people! How many more kids has to die due to people being ignorant. If you can afford a car, and the petrol to put into it, why can you not afford a carseat to keep your most precious possession safe?

I am totally inlove with the Radian carseats, as well as the BESAFE range, which is from Sweden. They are not readily available in South Africa, and to get them, you have to be fairly well off, or save for a while. And they are the safest by far...rear facing is the safest. My boys are currently still in the Maxi-cosi priori xp, front facing :(....my car is very small, and yeah, to get to a rear facing seat...when they are older...not possible.

How can I as a normal citizen, make people, my friends, aware of the dangers of putting a 2 year old in a booster seat without harnesses, letting a small child sit in a normal seatbelt with no protection, never mind proper strapping in?

The sadness is you will have a police officer drive past a person with a toddler standing on the front seat, and they wont do anything....as it is not law...

WHAT TO DO....I wanna cry at the idea of all these kids dying, because they parents are so ignorant...and because we cannot get this to be a law in South Africa. My friend has a campaign...maybe you all can sign it, so that we can get the amount of signatures, as the government will only consider making it law if we can show them a million signature...(mods, if I am not allowed to post this please remove the link)

http://www.safelaaities.co.za/

Please help us to make this a law in South Africa...

Thanks.

ADS

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC