NBB vs HBB question for 5.5 yr old

RYLANSMOM

My fiance's son is a bulky kid for his age. The last time I weighed him was last winter and he weighed 60 lbs. I don't know his height right now, but because of him being so broad just doesn't fit well in a lot of harnessed seats. (GN) He is very broad and top heavy. I have had issues with a lot of hbb leaning when he is in them. If I lock the belt tight it helps a little but not a lot. Anyway... his HBB we have now doesn't really do it. We don't have his son every day, only one evening during the week and every other weekend. His mom's house is 15 min from our house on rural country roads. He only rides one way with us as his mom picks him up. He will be 6 in December. He has used a NBB before and sits well in it. I had insisted with my fiance he needed a HBB so we used that up until recently. Since he doesn't ride in it all the time and most drives are within 10-15 mins would you be okay with him riding in a NBB with us. For long trips where he may fall asleep we would def. use his HBB. He doesn't slouch and he sits properly. Belt fits him great as well.

ADS

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
I would look at the sunshine kids monterey. Our 5y5m loves his. He is 4' and about 60#. The monterey gets wider which is awesome. Its does turn into a nbb, but I would perfer a 5y in a hbb until he outgrows it. ds2 also has a turbo in our 2nd vehicle (which we don't currently have one). And much perfers the monterey.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Although I wouldn't have an issue with a child that age riding occasionally for short trips in a LBB, I agree with the PP about the Monterey. It's a great choice for broader children. I think it would be smart for you to have a HBB for him that fits well because it will make a big difference for longer trips or just long days when he falls asleep in the car. Children that age get worn out, and a well-fitting HBB is extremely helpful for tired kids at the end of a long day. It also converts to a LBB so if there were occasions where it would be a lot more convenient just to have the low-back available, it would serve both functions. For example, you could keep the LBB portion in your trunk at all times in case you needed to pick him up at school or something came up unexpectedly, but put the high back portion on when you know he's going to be with you all weekend or for an extended summer visit.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC