Please keep my friend in your thoughts and prayers (tragic child loss mentioned)

essnce629

My best friend's college roommate, who I knew as well since we had classes together, just lost her one and only daughter in a horrible horrible accident 3 weeks ago. The story has deeply affected me and the pain her mother is going through is something that I could never imagine. I can't imagine a more worse way to lose a child. Please keep her and her family in your thoughts and prayers. This is the news article regarding what happened:

Warning: link is very graphic

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/aug/27/local/la-me-freeway-fatal-20110827

I've laid awake many nights thinking about what happened and what I would do in the same situation. It made me go out and immediately order a car fire extinguisher and a Lifehammer which is an emergency auto tool that has a seatbelt cutter and ends to break car windows. I've urged all my friends to do the same and I urge everyone else to do so as well. You can never be too prepared. Little Leiana would have turned 2 years old 3 days after the crash. She was just 3 months younger than my DS2.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADS

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Terrible. Words cannot even describe how sad that is. Prayers.

creideamh

This is one of the worst things I've ever read. I can't imagine living through it. I'm buying auto fire extinguishers right now. Prayers to your friend.

lovemybabies924

where can i order those things to break the window/cut seatbelts? thinking about putting baby outboard...

eta: found them....

and omg i just cant imagine :( prayers for all involved :(

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I didn't even need to click on the link, because as soon as I saw it was from the Times, I knew exactly what the story was. I woke up to the article in the paper a couple weeks ago, and it truly was heartbreaking. :(

I'm so very sorry for your friend.

lourdes

Oh God! I don't want even to imagine how your friend is feeling! She will be in my prayers tonight!

essnce629

thinking about putting baby outboard...

I wouldn't put your baby outboard. In a normal crash it's still safest to be in the center. The chance of being in a crash where the car is engulfed in flames is way less likely than being in a normal crash where being in the center is a lot more protective. It really is a horribly tragic story.

cupcakepirate11

That is beyond horrific and deeply saddening that no one stopped to help.
Definitely will be ordering a fire extinguisher and window breaker.

my heart hurts for your friend.

hrice

Is there a certain portable fire extinguisher that is recommended? I looked on Amazon and there are several and prices are all over the place.

Briteliteus

That makes me very sad. I cannot even imagine. I dont think any amount of planning can ever prepare you for something that horrific. Prayers to your friend and her family. :crying:

lourdes

Well, officially I can't sleep. I try to tell my DH but he didn't let me finish reading it to him. Do they sell the life-hammer at home depot?

essnce629

Is there a certain portable fire extinguisher that is recommended? I looked on Amazon and there are several and prices are all over the place.

I bought two of these auto fire extinguishers by First Alert: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PB3GUE"]Amazon.com: First Alert Auto Fire Extinguisher: Home Improvement[/ame]

One of the reviewers said he was able to put out an engine fire without using the full can.

Do they sell the life-hammer at home depot?

I'm not sure if they sell them at Home Depot. I've never looked there. I just bought mine on Amazon and attached it to the car with industrial strength velcro. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BN3A4Y"]Amazon.com: LifeHammer The Original Emergency Hammer (Orange): Automotive[/ame]

creideamh

I got the First Alert one, too. I have a flashlight that flashes, is also a siren (REALLY LOUD OMG don't accidentally press it), a seatbelt cutter, and a glass breaker all in one. I keep it in my center console. My parents got it for me for Christmas, but I have no idea where they bought it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC