Does this seem unsafe to you???

Anifan

My DS's 2-yr old daycare class is having a field trip and the plan on transporting the kiddos is to use the center's van which only has backless lap-belt boosters! Of course, as a parent, they also give you the option of leaving your car seat at the front desk for one of the teachers to install in the van or else attending the trip and driving your kiddo yourself. (or there's simply the option of choosing for your kiddo not to attend the field trip)
Here is my soapbox rant: even though it is not technically illegal in this state to use a booster like that, most of the 2-yr olds do not exceed 40 lbs (mine doesn't), so a non-harnessed booster seems a bit unsafe, doesn't it? Or am I just being paranoid? Second, they can't really expect the daycare teachers to know how to properly install a carseat in a van that they haven't used before without instructions, can they? (and these girls are wonderful, but neither are CPS). Third -- the only safe option, I believe, to allow my DS to attend is to drive him myself, which is not a biggie, but I have to then take off a day of work to do so and some people don't have that option. Lastly, some parents just aren't as knowledgeable about car seat safety as I now am (thanks to this awesome website!) and will probably think everything is good to go.

So -- when all is said and done -- I ask, does this seem unsafe to you???

Many thanks!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's remarkably unsafe. If you're in Missouri, I also believe it's illegal, as kids need to be harnessed by state law to four and 40 pounds. It could also be illegal if they're using boosters rated from three or four years. Not to mention, two year olds should be rear facing, not in backless boosters, or any booster at all.

So yes, I wouldn't allow my child to go. I'd either install the seat myself, or drive him myself. I've done both in the past.

Wendy

mkmama

Not to mention you say backless lap belt boosters...if that is meaning that the seatbelts are lap only with no shoulder portion, boosters aren't even allowed in those positions, per the manufacturers instructions!

bnsnyde

Wow. That sounds really bad.
I wonder if you can let them know why and back it up with some literature or stats. They can't expect to continue like that...

Baylor

Whatever the options, None of them are okay to me. I don't want someone besides me or a CPST installing my child's seat and There is no way I would let them put my BABY in a lbb with a lap belt? Who ARE These people?? Don't they know the laws?

I would drive my child myself.

Baylor

Wow. That sounds really bad.
I wonder if you can let them know why and back it up with some literature or stats. They can't expect to continue like that...

Sorry we posted at the same time.. But THIS!!

And maybe find a local CPST to help them figure out the best way to transport children.

Anifan

Thanks all, for confirming that I am not just a paranoid nutjob! :eek:

I'm not in Missouri, but Illinois (and I thought they just had to be in some type of child restrain until 40 lbs in Illinois, not necessarily a harnessed one -- is that right anybody?). And no -- I don't even know whether these should be shoulder belts or just lap belts. I agree about not letting the teachers install the seats (when I asked if how they would know what they were doing without instructions even, I was told that most of the seats are pretty self-explanatory *shudder!* *ugh!*).

Other than this, the daycare has been really nice and no major problems (except for the fact that they do not call if the kid does not show up in the morning to check on them, which they did at my previous daycare and maybe I was just spoiled or is that pretty standard? I mean, a courtesy attendance call would be nice, especially considering that in the hot summer it may avoid many fatal "I left the baby in the car by mistake" tragedies. Ok -- I'm ranting again, aren't I? But other than those two things -- no problems. Lol!)

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I would not allow my child to go on that bus, especially if they're installing the seat. They obviously don't know much about carseats if they think it is okay for two year olds to be in LBB with lapbelts.

I would complain. That is INCREDIBLY dangerous and *probably* illegal.

mkmama

I'm in IL too...I can't remember exactly what the law says, its been awhile since i looked it up. I know it says they have to be in something until they're 8 years old, but don't know if it specifies anything other than that.

Depending on what area you're in, I can give you my contact info for you to pass on.

Anifan

I'm about 35 min east of St. Louis, on the IL side. Will definitely be driving DS myself or else he's not going. Hate to complain and be "that mom" and if it's not technically illegal- what can I say to stop them really? (Except that it's incredibly unsafe and parents should know that I guess-- can anyone point me to some stats or literature I could offer?).

Thanks again everyone for your help and insight!!!

mkmama

I'm about 35 min east of St. Louis, on the IL side. Will definitely be driving DS myself or else he's not going. Hate to complain and be "that mom" and if it's not technically illegal- what can I say to stop them really? (Except that it's incredibly unsafe and parents should know that I guess-- can anyone point me to some stats or literature I could offer?).

Thanks again everyone for your help and insight!!!

PM'd you re: location...I"ll let everyone else cover the literature since I dont have any handy.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I think it's okay to be "that mom" when it comes to the safety of children.

Anifan

turtlemama said:
Can they be held liable if something happens? I'd mention that.

I think liability in personal injury if negligence proved and only if your expert witnessed convinced jury-- a bit hard to get around fact that it is not law tho (if, in fact,that is the case) and that parents gave permission to do so even tho they had other alt choices. That's just my initial thought...

Anifan

Kac said:
I think it's okay to be "that mom" when it comes to the safety of children.

I agree-- I will need some concrete safety info to back it up with tho, so I don't seem like just an over-protective mom. Anyone have any links I could print off?

momtoo3

Here is the link to IL Secretary of State:

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/drivers/programs/kiss.html

It states that all children up to age 8 must be secured in an APPROPRIATE child restraint and then goes on to show what an appropriate restraint for each age and weight is. The down side is it basically says to FF from 1 yr on but it does say a harness is appropriate from 1-4 yrs and a booster from 4-8 yrs and 40-80 pounds. In the booster box it also says to only use a booster with a lap/shoulder belt and that to use just a lap belt without a booster for kids over 40 pounds. That should help keep the 2 yr olds out of the lap belts, unless there are some larger, over 40 pound 2 yr olds.

southernveg

Anifan said:
Other than this, the daycare has been really nice and no major problems (except for the fact that they do not call if the kid does not show up in the morning to check on them, which they did at my previous daycare and maybe I was just spoiled or is that pretty standard? I mean, a courtesy attendance call would be nice, especially considering that in the hot summer it may avoid many fatal "I left the baby in the car by mistake" tragedies. Ok -- I'm ranting again, aren't I? But other than those two things -- no problems. Lol!)

I've worked in several preschools and nowhere has called if a child was absent. So I'd say you're spoiled. Haha! But I also think this would be a great idea. And as a teacher I would like to know if someone is just running late or won't be in for the day.

As far as the seat. I would definitely not allow a child to ride on that van.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
Am I the only one who is surprised that the 2 year olds are going on a field trip :scratcheshead: When DS first started daycare she was 2.5 and in the _toddler" room at our center. I remember asking about field trips and such (because I totally AM that parent, lol) and they looked at me like I was NUTS. They don't do any driving field trips until 4 year old PreK (obstensibly because that's how old to have to be to be transported in a bus). And the head teacher, who has 20+ years experience, said there was no way she would feel comfortable "out" with kids that little (they do go on walks and such). Any field trip- like thing (the Zoo, stretch and grow, etc) comes to them in the classroom.

I would absolutely not feel comfortable, and would totally talk with the director about how to safely transport littles.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC