WWYD - when your 3 yo outgrows seat RF?

Athena

My 3.25 yo is getting close to outgrowing her RA55 by height Rfing. I'm having trouble with the idea of turning her FF, but I don't think it makes sense to buy her a new seat to RF for just that little bit longer -- Plus the options would be very limited because I just weighed her at 37 pounds (with light clothes + shoes, what she is wearing now in her seat in mild weather), she's 40+ inches, and we have a tiny back seat/radian unfriendly car (forester) and we NEED that front seat leg room. It's getting harder to get her into her seat now and that worries me about misuse because getting her strapped in perfectly when she's squished is harder, something that would be easier with a more spacious seat, but then it probably wouldn't fit in our car.

I have been wondering if I should consider looking for another seat to try to get her to 4, but my options are very limited and at best I'd only get 3 pounds and/or 1 inch RF out of it (and we are not rolling in money;)). I know it is not practical or affordable and I should feel good about ERFing such a big kid this long, yet I feel bad about not ERFing longer. WWYD?

THANKS!

ADS

lanwenyi

I'd turn her when she actually outgrows the seat and NOT feel guilty at all. You did a great job to keep her rfing this long!

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Best practice is to rear-face to the limits of your convertible seat. You're doing that. Good job! Turn when you have to and don't feel guilty.

hrice

I just wanted to echo what pp have said. RF until she maxes the seat and then turn FF.

Last edited:

Irishmama

Ditto what PP said. And it may take her awhile to outgrow her seat. I kept thinking DD2 was gonna outgrow her MA 65 by height any day, but it took her months. And don't feel guilty, you've done a great job!

SAHDADDY

I would turn her when she maxs out the limits of her seat. That's our plan with our enormous 2.5 yearold

mumof2

I agree with what everyone else has said Id turn her when she hits the limit of her seat.

and yeah dont feel guitly about turning her RFing to 3 is fantastic

scariestone

Ditto what PP said. And it may take her awhile to outgrow her seat. I kept thinking DD2 was gonna outgrow her MA 65 by height any day, but it took her months. And don't feel guilty, you've done a great job!

:yeahthat: From the time DS was "about" to outgrow his myride to the time he actually did was 6 or 7 months to gain the 2 lbs and he didn't actually get within 1" of the top of the shell. So don't panic, you may have a while.

2BunniesMommy

I agree with all the others. You have done great to keep her RFing as long as you have. When she hits the one inch mark, FF her.

DD2 just outgrew the RA55 by height rearfacing and I just want to warn you that your DD may not be able to use it FFing. I tried DD2 in hers just once FFing and she was right AT the top harness slot. So would have worked for her just a short time FFing once she was too tall rearfacing. Don't know if it will be the same for your DD.

Athena

Thank you all for such positive, helpful feedback!

I'm planning to keep her RFing until she has hit that one inch mark, but I need to get out the ruler now because she was looking taller in it this week. Hopefully, we'll have a little more time, but I need to remember to keep a close eye on it.

I just want to warn you that your DD may not be able to use it FFing.

Thanks for the heads up about your experience! We have a second Nautilus she could use temporarily just in case, but that's good to know to start thinking about her next seat now.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC