News USA Today article on carseats

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Gloria Bergquist, spokeswoman for the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, says the LATCH acronym can be confusing. She says the message needs to be more memorable and suggests: "Children should be tethered at all times in cars."

Hurray!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
CPSDarren said:

But that, combined with the first awkward mention of the tether keeping a child's head back, make it sound like the KIDS should be tethered in the car. Not that I'm necessarily opposed to that. :whistle:

The nice thing about media outlets stealing from each other all the time is that there's likely to be follow-up coverage now. :thumbsup: (ETA: Forgot that SafeKids put out a release. Still, when one outlet reports, others are likely to, also, rather than ignoring. Yay, peer pressure!)

Last edited:

xursusmaritimusx

does anyone know what car this is??? only certain models let you use cargo tie downs as a tethering point.... i wish they wouldnt have used that as an example because people will think its okay to do so in their own car without checking the manual.....

wheels-safekids-articleInline.jpg

Mags462

Excellent article.... GREAT job KQ!

And i think that car must me some sort of Chevy small SUV (equinox maybe??).... its not the Rav4, it might be a CRV but i don't think so....

bearwithmoi

I had the same thought about the example they showed on the times blog. Is that allowed? Don't want to link to it, unless it is

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
xursusmaritimusx said:
does anyone know what car this is??? only certain models let you use cargo tie downs as a tethering point.... i wish they wouldnt have used that as an example because people will think its okay to do so in their own car without checking the manual.....

Umm that vehicle isn't one of the ones that allow it...I can see a tether anchor on the ceiling.

Baylor

You did a great job Anne! You looked completely professional! Thanks for being willing to do it!
I put it on my facebook page.

crunchierthanthou

wheels-safekids-articleInline.jpg

definitely not a CRV, tethers are on the back of the seat. Is it a Subaru?

I'm almost certain that's the 3rd row of a Chevy Traverse (Enclave/Acadia/Outlook). That vehicle only has one tether in the third row, and it's on the seatback for the middle position.

http://media.ed.edmunds-media.com/p...vrolet/2011.chevrolet.traverse.20340685-E.jpg

http://media.ed.edmunds-media.com/p...vrolet/2012.chevrolet.traverse.20386187-E.jpg

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
:D

Sheesh on the misuse by the Times. I guess they're really demonstrating that misuse rate. ;) If they'd watched my video first they'd have known to read the car's manual to find out where the tether anchors are! :p

Avery'sMama

CPST Instructor
Excellent article KQ! I shared on FB today. SO nice to see an article where they don't get things wrong, like the Times, apparently...

essnce629

Great job Anne! Sent it to all my playgroup moms, because even though they all have Britax seats and can still have their children rf'ing, they all turned them ff'ing around 18 months it seems. I did a carseat presentation for our group last year before they all turned one, which is probably the only reason they didn't turn them around immediately. They are all smaller than DS2, who is still rf'ing, so I know their kids can be too.

Oh, and do you have pics of your crashed car still?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC