Floor models?

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Are retailers actually allowed to sell floor models?

I know in Zeller's a see signs on the floor models saying that they can't be sold, but I was in BRU the other night and they were selling a turbo booster that was a floor model. It was actually marked as a floor model.

I thought about bringing it up to someone, but didn't know it it was store preference or if it's a standard that stores can't sell floor models.

Anyone know?

ADS

Melizerd

USA baby told me one of their floor models was for sale too. I looked at her like she was nuts. At Target they all have things sewn on that says floor model not for use.

littleangelfire

I think it must be a store preference. A worker at Target told me they couldn't sell floor models b/c of liability issues since so many people mess with them and drop them, some pieces might be missing, and who would ever be able to find the manual and box?

I've bought electronics and stuff that were floor models, and the cheaper price is usually b/c it has been handled and is missing instructions, remotes, and box or other pieces. More stores should refuse to sell floor models, I think, sinc most people probably don't go to the trouble to download instructions or order original pieces.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
DD1's Marathon was a floor model we got for $60 from Babies-R-Us. :( It is not marked "floor model," which is weird because every time I've been there since the floor models are labeled.:confused: I didn't know any better, and now I'm kicking myself in the rear but I can't afford to replace it right now.

mommyto4kiddos

Senior Community Member
Target doesn't but i know burlington coat factory does, since I bought one. I also know sears doesn't sell the display.

lynsgirl

Yeah, Target ones not only have the "Floor Model - do not sell" labels sewn on, they have no DOM on the seats anywhere, either. The one thing I wish places like Target would do, though, when they're getting new floor models, is to donate all of the ones they're getting rid of to SafeKids coalitions for training purposes. I know individual stores have been asked and have refused, but I wonder if any of the stores who have seats like that would ever consider that becoming their policy. It would sure be nice! :twocents: :whistle:

cpsaddict

I work at BRU and most of the time we do not sell the floor models. The only ones we really sell are the ones that sit on the end caps because they are only there for about 3-4 weeks before they are changed out. For instance, right now we have the MA, DC and RA on the endcap. They have been there for two weeks and will stay there for another 2 weeks. They all have DOM's from sometime in March. These seats don't usually get taken down because they are higher up and they are duplicates of what is already on the shelves. They still have all the tags attached and will be marked down 30%. I really don't see the problem with these floor models. Now, we do have some that WILL NOT be sold, like the Triumph with a perpetually twisted harness. Our infant seats usually don't get sold because they are FILTHY by the time they are discontinued.

I don't think all floor models are bad, but you can usually tell if they have been sitting around for months and months.

This probably won't be a popular opinion, but there ya go anyway! :p

scatterbunny

I think the ones that sit up high for display-only, and are not messed with, are fine to sell. Just the ones that are TRUE floor models, on the floor for demonstration purposes, for folks to play with, are bad to sell. :)

snowbird25ca

I think the ones that sit up high for display-only, and are not messed with, are fine to sell. Just the ones that are TRUE floor models, on the floor for demonstration purposes, for folks to play with, are bad to sell. :)

I totally agree with this.

Our TRU just recently renovated and made an adjoining official BRU store. Prior to this we only had the BRU section within the tRU store - pretty standard for Canada.. anyways, prior to the big change they didn't have end caps for car seats.. they were all lined up in one aisle along a wall and that was it. Now they're displayed differently and with end caps. If it's still there next time I'm in I'll have to look at the DOM. It had the NHL fabric on it, so I'd figure it'll stick around awhile longer since our local team did pretty bad this last season. :whistle:

Simplysomething

The one thing I wish places like Target would do, though, when they're getting new floor models, is to donate all of the ones they're getting rid of to SafeKids coalitions for training purposes. I know individual stores have been asked and have refused,

Have you contacted corporate? Generally, the store level people don't have the authority to do stuff like that, so of course they refused.

cmm7

It had the NHL fabric on it, so I'd figure it'll stick around awhile longer since our local team did pretty bad this last season. :whistle:

Hehehe... they even did worse than the Bruins this past season!

But, no, really... why doesn't Graco make an NHL print for the US? Or at least a hockey print? That seat would so find its way into my car!

snowbird25ca

Hehehe... they even did worse than the Bruins this past season!

But, no, really... why doesn't Graco make an NHL print for the US? Or at least a hockey print? That seat would so find its way into my car!

:p Yep, they didn't even make the play-offs this year. After being in the Stanley Cup final game last year. :rolleyes:

I didn't realize Graco marketed different prints to the US and Canada. Maybe this one is just that old... must find excuse to go visit now. :whistle:

There is a store in the city where I took my tech training that has donated returned seats to the training program. Funny thing, all the returned seats were 3-in-1's. :cool: I'm not sure if the donation will be an ongoing thing or not, but I was impressed that the store wasn't just turning around and re-selling returned car-seats. :twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC